Saturday, December 12, 2020

Just Weather Again

Welcome to winter.  Forty-eight hours ago we were on our second 50ºF day in a row and I was out enjoying a rare weekday firepit.  And today, well....

A winter wonderland, picture taken just a few minutes ago.
Two days earlier, much more relaxing.

I don't normally have a fire when I have to get up early the next day, but with sunset before 4:30 p.m. and a very mild December day I did just that on Thursday.  I got off work at 2:00, had the fire going about an hour later, stayed out until after 5:00 and was inside in plenty of time for dinner.  Then yesterday morning it started raining until turning over to snow in the early afternoon.  Even then, it wasn't until evening that the snow started sticking.  And it continued overnight and is still going, currently projected to finish in the next hour or so.

My back is still touch-and-go so there's no way I was going to pick up a shovel, but with a support belt and what turned out to be one more warm layer than necessary I was able to push the snow blower through the heavy and wet white stuff to get things cleared while my lovely wife used a shovel for the steps and more.  We'll have to go out again later to clean things up when the snow is finished (and after the Badger game this afternoon) but now it will be much easier.

High temperatures for the next week are projected to be right around the freezing mark so not sure how long the snow will last.  I guess it depends on how many of those days are sunny.  But one of these days it will snow and stay until maybe March.  I hope today is not that day.

6 comments:

Scoakat said...

Shortly after posting this the snow stopped, and shortly after that the sun came out, so we didn't have to clean up more snow as everything remaining on the pavement melted. Later we did have to clear what the snow plow put at the end of the driveway, though. Officially, at the airport just 1.5-2 miles north of us, we had 6.4 inches, though some nearby communities had up to 10.

Scoakat said...

Oh, and the Badgers lost. Again. :(

delcatto said...

It looks lovely, all that snow but the clearing up, ensuring you are safe walking and mindful of your back, it's good that the snow might hold off for a while longer.

Scoakat said...

Yes, it is lovely. I don't often appreciate it because I know too well the work involved in removing it from the driveway and walks. Plus, still hoping for more fires, but that window is closing or may already be shut.

Blue Witch said...

No snow here yet! Strangely, it's warmer than 300 miles south. Does Mr Biden believe in global warming?

Scoakat said...

I can't think of specifics right now but I'm sure he does, BW.

Minimal melting so far but warmer the next few days. A solstice firepit on Monday is very much in question!