Wednesday, November 4, 2020

2020 Election, First Thoughts

Aaaaand it begins.  Or has already begun, actually.  Lies, false claims, lawsuits to stop ballots from being counted (really!).  All from Trump, I've not heard much from Biden.  Imagine that.  Election day was yesterday but we're far from done.  This will end up dragging out longer than anyone wants it to, I fear.

And, almost 6 million people total in Wisconsin and (a record) 3.3 million voted.  Still, Trump only lost our state by about 20,000 votes.  I know it was also close last election, the other way, but it still shocks me we're so divided after the antics we've witnessed the last 4 years.

It makes it hard to ever go outside again knowing every other person that I live among has looked around at what's happening in our country and the world and said to themselves "Yup, I like how things are going." 

I've been working all day and only checked the news sporadically, mostly this morning, until very recently.  Time to do something more relaxing.  I'm sure we'll talk more about this very soon.

7 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Such a low turnout in such times?

But, it's only 1 in 4 that you can be sure about... or 1 in 2 and half the rest don't have an opinion. Worrying.

Scoakat said...

The total population is almost 6 million, I'll have to look up how much of that is eligible to vote, but more voters this election than ever before in Wisconsin. And my analogy is also wrong because blue areas are the more urban and red is rural, generally speaking.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts after work this afternoon.

Scoakat said...

After a (very) little more research, Wisconsin's estimated voting age population (18 and over) is about 4.5 million, about 3.7 million of those are registered voters, and about 3.24 million votes were cast, which is about 71% of those of voting age.

No new news yet, really. Cross your fingers for us.

Blue Witch said...

71% is a good turnout (in UK terms), but one has to wonder why the other 3 in 10 don't vote - or at least spoil their ballot in protest. Can one do that in the US, or does one have to make a binary choice?

Nic said...

My fingers remain crossed for you...and indeed for us all. Sadly I suspect Trump still has tricks to play.

Scoakat said...

BW, yes there are several other candidates on the ballot other than the big two. Heck, Kanye West was on the ballot for many states, but he was late getting paperwork in to Wisconsin to be on our ballot.

Nic, looks like they've pretty much just called it for Biden. I wonder what kind of orange temper tantrum we're about to witness?

Blue Witch said...

I guess the golf balls got it...

There is now hope for the rest of the world, at least.