Sunday, November 8, 2020

2020 Election, Final Thoughts

Well, maybe not my final thoughts but I probably won't post about this again and 'second thoughts' carries a different meaning.  It took several days, but we got there.  I've heard very little from the orange one since the race was called for Biden, just a few flagged tweets and threats of lawsuits, and I find this rather surprising.  Maybe he's being advised to lay low, but he's too impetuous to stay silent for long.  It would be nice if he would just go quietly, but I'm not sure he could if he tried.

Tomorrow will be interesting to see if they follow through and file tons of lawsuits or not. or if he will possibly concede and perhaps even congratulate his opponent (ha!).  This will still take time to play out, but seeing what I have from him for the last four plus years I don't see a peaceful transfer of power happening.  In fact, part of me wants to see the sideshow continue, if only because it has an expiration date now.

All across the world bells were rung, fireworks lit and horns honked in celebration.  I could hear them as soon as I stepped outside yesterday after the call.  Does the rest of the world always pay attention to our elections?  Likely, and likely more so since Sideshow Don arrived on the scene.

To clarify a few things from my last post for those who don't read the comments, Wisconsin has a population of 5.82 million.  Of that, 4.53m are of voting age (18+) and 3.68m are registered voters.  Wisconsinites cast about 3.24m votes, which at about 71% is on the high end of typical voter turnout here for a presidential election.  

Also, my analogy is off as blue leans urban and red leans rural, and not just here - everywhere, so while you look at the map and see Wisconsin as blue, upon closer look it is very red.  Makes it pretty apparent where some of the bigger cities are.  Out of 3.24 million ballots cast in Wisconsin the difference was only 20,000 votes.

Now it's time to forget about colors and move forward.  This time, hopefully, with fewer distractions.

No comments: