Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Virus Update, Blogday

Tested positive, not an actual count.
It's been a week and a half since I started showing symptoms, and when this posts it will be 5 days since all doubt was erased from my mind that this is what I have.  I'm writing this on Tuesday night to post tomorrow, on my 11th blogday.  Happy Blogday to me.  Yay.

I contacted my doctor's office first thing Monday morning and they got back to me later with advice.  Fluids, rest, continue to monitor my symptoms and go to the hospital if necessary.  I did let them know that my wife is caretaker to her elderly father and saw him on Wednesday, they advised the same; keep monitoring their health.  My wife shows no symptoms though she has been cooped up with me this whole time, and thankfully her father shows no symptoms as well.  Testing was not mentioned, and I believe I will not be tested unless I get worse and have to go to the hospital.  From what I hear, only those that go and health care workers are being tested, which means you can throw all the numbers you see right out the window.  Real counts of those infected are probably much, much higher.  And my wife is no longer seeing her father, there are others who can fill in for a couple weeks.

Second thing Monday, after messaging my doctor, I messaged those I work with.  I let them know I was ill and that I believed it was this virus, but since I had nothing else to do I intended to continue to work as normal.  I put in a full day's work Monday, even signing off for an hour to take a nap at one point, but that still turned out to be too much.  Tuesday morning I messaged those I work with again.  Except for one part of my job that no one else can do at the moment, I relinquished all my daily duties.  I let them know the day before was way too much for me and I needed a lot more rest.  They do seem to understand and wish me well, and I know they will shuffle things around a bit and manage without me.  I wound up working less than half a day Tuesday and got some good rest.

I'm still getting headaches though not quite as bad (and I'm taking Menstrual Pain Relief pills because that's all we have that has acetaminophen).  I'm not coughing quite as much, and while I'm still expectorating yellow/green sputum it does not seem to be as much as a few days ago.  Even the shortness of breath seems a little better, or maybe I'm getting used to it.  The fever spikes and malaise continue and my appetite is not good.  I have to make myself eat, and it isn't much.

So, overall, I'm in no worse shape than when I wrote about it the other day.  Thank you to everyone who sent their well-wishes and offers of assistance.  We're otherwise still in pretty good shape at the moment, thankfully.  I just need to get better, and I think that will just take time.

Make no bones about it, this is a nasty, nasty virus.  My only solace is that when I get over this I (hopefully) will be immune.

Stay safe, stay in, and stay well, everyone.

11 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Pleased you're no worse, but hope you're soon much better.

When you feel better, still take a couple more days. Your body will need it. DAMHIK about what viruses can do to you, but accept that it was 1991 when I was struck down by one, and I've never been the same since.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. I have to back myself off of work more. Almost 6 hours today, interspersed with breaks but I still got pretty grumpy.

Blue Witch said...

You know what happened to Boris Johnson because he didn't stop working...

But, seriously, what is it that is preventing you from stopping working completely, as you need to?

And sorry, forgot before, Happy Blogday!

Scoakat said...

A lot of people depend on me, BW. I've already relinquished most of my work, but there is one duty I feel compelled to do due to others, hard to explain. I've already messaged my work this morning and told them when this duty is done today I am done. I will take the next 3 days to concentrate on my health. We'll see what comes Monday. If I can't go then I won't.

Thank you for your concern, I am also concerned but it was good to read this from you this morning.

Blue Witch said...

If there really is no-one who can take this over, then it says something for what needs to be done at your workplace once this crisis is over. Succession/crisis planning, and ensuring that no-one is so indispensible that they have to put themselves in jeopardy the next time that such a situation happens...

Do hope you can get some proper uninterrupted rest/sleep sometime soon.

Monday is Easter Monday - would you normally be working then?

I know that things are very different in the US re employment laws, employer expectations, leave time and sick pay etc, but, honestly, nothing is worth risking your future health over.

But I know you know that, and I do admire you for wanting to do the best by those who rely on you.

Take care.

Scoakat said...

I've been done for the day now for some time, 2.25 hours total. And yes, things will be addressed at work maybe even next week.

We have tomorrow and the weekend off and I won't be signing in to work at all. Hopefully I feel much better come Monday. Yes, sleep and rest are all I have planned until then. I feel relieved.

Blue Witch said...

How are you today Scoakat?

Hope things are getting better and that Mrs Scoakat and her father are still symptom free.

Thinking of you.

Scoakat said...

I am feeling better today, thank you BW. I actually had an appetite yesterday and breathing is better. I'm thinking of posting a timeline tomorrow, so keep an eye out.

My wife and her father are just fine, no symptoms whatsoever. But her dad has smoked all his life and his lungs are clear, my wife has smoked for over 20 years and the same. I often tease her saying she has the 'smoking gene.' I don't, suffered (and continue to suffer) effects, and had to quit. The same thing that allows them to smoke probably makes them immune. No joke!

Scoakat said...

But I haven't heard anything from delcatto in some time...

Blue Witch said...

Good to hear.

I'm concerned about delcatto too.

Blue Witch said...

Ah - just checked - he's recently posted :)