Friday, November 1, 2019

Halloween 2019

We got 3 inches of snow a few days ago, then we got 5.1 inches on Halloween day.  While most walks had been cleared it was still below freezing with snow and leaves everywhere for the evening trick-or-treaters.  I wasn't really surprised that there were less this time, maybe two dozen or so, less than half of last year.  It just means we have waaaay too much candy left over.  Dammit, I like candy.  But I'm not used to eating a lot of it.  I may get a tummy ache!

This is the third year I've used the mummy in the corner window.  It was just a cheap decoration - two plastics sheets to tape in the windows - but I got a lot of compliments from the parents on it this year.  In fact, one said it was the most Halloweeny house on the street.  I think the effect from the corner windows is good, especially if you are walking toward it down the street.  I also got a cheap red strobe light that I put in the kitchen window, just for fun.  After dark it seemed like a nice effect, anyway.  Also cheap window decals went unused due to the cold glass.  I did have a new skull mask with a moving jaw, but I think I only answered the door in it a couple times and even then quickly removed it.  I guess I was apprehensive about scaring the younger ones.

All in all a nice, but slow, snowy and cold Halloween.  Almost felt more like Christmas out there.

7 comments:

Kel said...

Very Halloweeny! Except the snow!

Blue Witch said...

" I also got a cheap red strobe light that I put in the kitchen window, just for fun."

Brings to mind 'Roxanne' by The Police ;)

That mummy scares me every year you show it.

Scoakat said...

Hi Kelly! Thanks, do you have much snow yet down there?

BW, I didn't have to put on the red light - but I did! The mummy is fun, for a few hours one night a year. Makes it hard to peek out the windows, though.

delcatto said...

I do like that Mummy, very scary.
I'm full of a horrible cold and it's the early hors here as a cough & sneezing is keeping me awake so I'm catching up with various blogs. We saw very little of Halloween around here although the damned fireworks are going off day and night. Not good for the cats.

Scoakat said...

I hope you feel better, Delcatto.

And just to update, almost all of the snow has melted. This means I can now rake leaves at any time, but I hope to put it off until the weekend.

Oh, fireworks for Halloween?

delcatto said...

The fireworks are for November 5th which is Guy Fawkes night. It commemorates an attempt by English Catholics to blow up the Houses of Parliament and King James 1st in 1605 using gunpowder. A bonfire and fireworks are traditional but sadly we have idiots setting off fireworks for 2 - 3 weeks over the autumn which terrifies cats and dogs.

Scoakat said...

Interesting. You may have told me before, I'll make a note to look into it more later. Yes, really.

Currently we are in our 3rd snowfall. Too much too soon, even if it eventually melts now. I hope this isn't a harbinger of our winter to come.

Seeing the forecast, after a full day's work yesterday I made myself get out the ladder and clear leaves from all the gutters. Also raked and mulched the leaves out front and put into the flowerbeds in back. Mowed the remaining leaf litter into the lawn, then winterized the mower and made sure the snowblower started and was ready to go. An abbreviated version of these fall chores, for sure, but it may turn out to be now or not until spring.