Sunday, August 12, 2018

August This-And-Thats

Well, I've been trying to get to this for about a week now.  The longer I wait the longer the post will be, so time to start typing and see what spills out!
  • I have a fire almost every good weather evening that I don't have to work the next day.  How do you invite people?  I could text all my friends every weekend, but that seems too tedious and a bother.  It's nice to have good conversation around the fire but I have nothing against sitting out there by myself.  I guess we'll just have to plan things like we used to, so if you're reading this then save the date - September 8th.  But if it's good weather then I'm probably around the fire on weekends and all I know are welcome to stop by whenever they wish.
  • Speaking of fires, I'm very happy with the wood I bought.  It's easy to light and burns a pretty long time.  Even though it is split into manageable logs I wind up splitting some further into smaller pieces for getting the fire started and also for the end of the night when it's just too late to put on a full log.
  • I did take a lot of pictures at Atwoodfest.  Too many, I'm told.  Me running around to get good pictures seems to have put a slight damper on the day for the people I was with.  I know I've been getting into picture taking quite a bit for the last couple years, but I have to remember to let it happen and not try to be a reporter for the blog.
  • Since we lost the tree in back we have lots less bastard squirrels and lots more bastard rabbits.  The rabbits have taken to lounging in our back yard, seemingly mocking us and the cats.  I'd love to get a slingshot or something but my wife won't allow that.  And if I run off the rabbits what will replace them?  Still, have a little respect and run from me, you little bastards!  I did see a hawk on the back fence the other day, so hopefully that will put a little fear in them.
  • The squirrels haven't totally moved out, either.  I saw one coming out of the garage a few days ago.  Seems he found my sunflower seeds on my workbench and sat there feasting for a while.  Shells all over the place!  He didn't even seem to mind the dill pickle flavor.
  • My first morning in my new position I learned that my old boss just got fired that morning and his boss had been "reassigned."  Surprised me, but didn't shock me.   A month or two earlier the VP was let go.  That department is a mess, and of its own management's doing.  I was there, I watched it happen but they didn't listen to us.  I hope this is the start of making things better over there, but I'm glad as hell it's not my problem anymore.  That should be the end of my shop talk now for a long time.
  • We should be getting another quarter cow very soon now.  Later than the last couple years, but we haven't quite run out of meat yet, either, but almost.  I hope we have a little more advance warning this time.  Last year we got the call the day of, and I had a job interview to go to and my wife was limited in lifting just after surgery.  She managed getting it all put away last year, but I should be around this time.
  • It's August already and the last food cart night down at Atwood was this last week.  We didn't make it every week, but that's mostly because neither did they.  There was never 4 carts as advertised, and the ones that did show up after the first couple weeks all seemed to be of the Asian flavor - not my taste.  There's lots more food carts out there, so why weren't they here?  So, it was nice in theory, anyway.
That's enough for now, I think.  Football season is almost upon us so cheers for the Badgers and Packers.  The bikes have been unused recently mostly due to heat and humidity, but there's a little laziness in there, too.  All in all, having a nice summer though, and I hope you are, too!

7 comments:

Blue Witch said...

"My first morning in my new position I learned that my old boss just got fired that morning and his boss had been "reassigned." Surprised me, but didn't shock me. A month or two earlier the VP was let go. That department is a mess, and of its own management's doing."

Ah, how I love Karma. As I always say, in this kind of situation, all one has to do is wait.

But glad that you are well out of there.

Wish we lived nearer... the firepit nights sound great. No-one does things like that round here.

Scoakat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blue Witch said...

Ahem. Would you mind correcting that typo in your penultimate line please? ;)

How does one tell someone that the job they are doing is making them unhappy (and, in extreme cases, killing them and/or their outside relationships)? I don't know anyone who ever listened (to anyone voicing this opinion to them) while they were doing the caustic job; only in retrospect do they see what is so often so obvious to everyone around them.

So many of us have been there and done that, but I have no idea how to get people to see the light.

Scoakat said...

Of course, BW. I can't edit but I can remove it. Below is the removed comment with the typo removed:

Blue Witch, it's hard to express just how much happier I am now. Frustration, stress and annoyance were daily things, that even spilled over to home. Now, I've been described at work as "just so happy all the time!"

Yeah, I wish you lived closer, too. I know I write about the fire pit often, but it just is so very nice.

Blue Witch said...

Thanks :)

delcatto said...

The fire pit does sound marvellous. Ditto if I lived nearer.

Yes, jobs and toxicity with poor managers is sadly fairly common but the impact on one's personal life can be dreadful. Not easy to handle. I bumped into an old friend this morning and sadly the crap he got at work ended his marriage and soured his life for a couple of years. Happily he is through the bad and living a happier and stress free life these days. You certainly made the right move and it sounds like you did it at the right time.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Declan. I'd been looking for over a year and yes, just in time!