Saturday, August 25, 2018

The 2018 Flood II

I went down by the creek today to see how it looked, not quite as full as yesterday and there is a slight flow to it again today.  Yesterday it was fuller and stagnant, which tells me it was at lake level.  Still, it's going to take a while for the waters to go down, and we have a chance for rain and thunderstorms the next few days yet.  You can see here how the creek may be too full for canoes and kayaks to make it under the bridges very easily.

20180825_123254
Across the city, many home and business owners are trying to dry out and assess the damage.  As far as I know there is still flooded areas and roads on the isthmus and all across western Dane County.  I have not heard anything about the Tenney Lock and Dam, so that's probably a good thing.  Reports can be found online pretty easily, starting with here and here.

We've had no water in the basement since the big rainstorm earlier in the week.  When we get water in the basement it just runs toward the drain, but there are a few areas where it pools so we squeegee it towards the drain and turn on the dehumidifier.  It is now dry again and I don't think we'll get any more unless it rains again soon.

Terry sent us some pics of the marina where she keeps her boat that I'll put after the break.  I don't think she'll mind me posting them - thanks Terry!  The water's edge is normally on the other side of the open structure you'll see, and now is right up to the buildings.

123_1001


123_1001002


123_1

6 comments:

delcatto said...

I hope it's now stopped as that does look bad. Keep yourself dry and safe.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Delcatto. The national guard is still sandbagging in areas around the lakes as the forecast calls for severe storms and heavy rainfall this evening and overnight. The heaviest rains may go just north of us, but no rain is needed at this point. We'll see what happens.

I plan on working 12 hours each of the next couple days so I'll update when I can. We have 10 hours of mandatory overtime at work so I hope to get it out of the way early to make the rest of my week more normal. That's the plan, anyway.

Kel said...

Wow! That's crazy! When has Madison flooded before? I don't ever remember it being so bad there.

Scoakat said...

I don't ever remember this much water, Kel. Thankfully it wasn't much rain last night, but there's still a pretty good chance through tomorrow evening.

Blue Witch said...

Hope it's getting back to normal by now.

Scoakat said...

This will take time, BW. The water flows to the lakes from many miles away, and then downstream, soaks in, or evaporates. Thankfully it hasn't been exacerbated by rain we've received since.