Saturday, October 25, 2014

Yardwork Afternoon

After the big win by the Badgers this afternoon it was time for some work around the yard and garden.  The sun was shining and the temperature made it comfortable without a jacket.  We're supposed to get more of the same tomorrow and then we get cold again.  I had just received a very nice sweater jacket that I had ordered, too, but I have to return it.  It says it is XXL but wears like a L.  I was very disappointed.

20141025 013
But the point of this is to post pictures.  Starting with the burning bush, with it's leaves aflame in red this time of year.  It was very overgrown when we moved in, and I have trimmed it since to try to get some underneath growth.  It took a big hit during the drought of a few summers ago, we weren't sure it would survive.  What you see is what is left after I cut out the dead parts.  In fact, we burnt up the last of the dead trunks that I removed during the fire pit last weekend (see last post).  I don't know how it will look in a few years, but I'm hoping to encourage enough undergrowth that I can get it to be more bush than tree.

20141025 015The compost bin that I built a couple years ago has been working out wonderfully.  It is attractive in the yard and keeps critters from making a mess.  Alternating sides each year works out perfectly so we always have fresh soil to add to the garden in the fall.  Today I added most of the compost from last year, which was just nutrient rich soil now, into the garden where Kate raked it out evenly amongst the plants we're keeping.  There's even another bucket or two left for elsewhere in the yard.  It will surely get put somewhere eventually this fall yet so we can start depositing in that side and, once all the fall clean up is in, let the left side start breaking down to be next year's garden enrichment.  We added quite a bit today so I gave it a little turn with the pitchfork which is what you see above. 

I'll post more pictures over at the garden site later tonight.

No comments: