- My wife was out of town on a business trip all of last week - to Las Vegas, no less! Sure, it was for work, but she had wonderful weather while we had cool, cloudy and wet weather all week here. The sun did not come out the whole time she was gone. It also sounds like she got all the free food and booze she wanted. Oh well, someone had to stay and feed the cats. And we missed her, of course.
- Speaking of work, I've been in training again. All of last week and all of this week yet. Just more of the same, onward and upward. The problem is that the training is all day, 40 hours a week, and while I'm not being given more new work I still have many things in progress. There is no mandatory overtime, just voluntary right now, but not really voluntary for me because I have to spend some time on the cases I have in progress. Mostly I have kept up so far by working extra early before training and only staying later sometimes, but things are starting to pile up this week.
- Kate has been doing a lot of planting recently, with more plants coming yet. You can catch that stuff over here at the garden site. I'm still hoping she'll take over that site but it may be a little while until that happens. She wants to get a laptop for that blog and some classes she will be taking this fall. I'm not a computer hog, I'm just on it all night every night!
- We've upgraded to a modem/wireless router combo at the house, anticipating the laptop but she can use it now for her iphone. It seems like a pretty nifty device but I haven't been able to get the printer to work wirelessly since I first hooked it up. I'll have to take another crack at figuring it out but otherwise I may hit up StepDan if the folks come to town. Thankfully, it is not a pressing matter, we can still use it wired.
- We're going to have our first fire pit party of the year this weekend. I have some leftover firewood from last year, plus the neighbor's branch that I helped him get down off the telephone wire last summer. We also removed the larger pieces of bark and mulch from around the tree out back (see picture at the garden site link, above or on the right), so I have two five gallon buckets full of that stuff to toss on the fire over the course of the summer. It has to go somewhere so I may as well use it as kindling.
- The cats turned 2 years old on or about April 20. I believe they are full grown, as long as we don't let them get fat. They have been loving having the porch open for them again this spring. Basil is getting particularly interested in the outside when we come and go through the doors, so we have been discussing the harnesses again. They don't like them but we don't want to take them out without them on a leash. They have not been, and we don't intend them to be, outside cats. (There are a lot of dogs in the neighborhood, as well as questionable cats that wander about.) But it would be nice to be able to walk them around the yard on nice days.
6 days ago