Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Managing My Time / OCD Tendencies

I've been trying to change my days around a bit lately.  The biggest change is letting go of The Don Geronimo Show podcast.  It is his whole morning radio show from KHTK in Sacramento without commercials, which is usually just over three and a half hours long.  I listen while I work and usually finish it by lunch time, or sometimes later.  I've managed to keep that up for over a year and a half, plus the other, shorter, less frequent podcasts that I listen to (listed in the right column).  Then at home I like to watch The Mike O'Meara Show podcast, video recorded on Ustream.  Between TMOS and my usual surfing sites, they replace evening television for me, which results in me being holed up in the computer room all night, sometimes even while eating dinner.

It has been a week since I've been a loyal TDGS listener, and not a bad week.  I've been able to keep up on my other podcasts easily and listen to a lot of new music that I hadn't been able to get around to before.  The next step is to start listening to the daily TMOS shows at work in the mornings instead of watching it on Ustream every day after work.  TMOS is a scant 70 minute podcast compared to TDGS's 3.5 hours plus.  I will still watch the TMOS bonus shows on the weekends, that is content that I have bought and paid for the year.

While I will still be on the computer daily, I want to free up more of my time spent every day, keep my wife company more often, and spend more time just doing things, little things around the house that need to be done.  I can catch up on TDGS when I ever have free time, or when something sounds like it's getting interesting.  I'm not deleting it from my itunes, mind you, so I will still see the daily descriptions.  Hell, I've listened to him for probably 12 or 13 years now, it's hard to let go completely.

I'll have to check back with this later.  Somehow, posting my intentions publicly may help me be able to follow through.  I hope for less stress and time commitments in my everyday life.  I guess we'll see how I manage my OCD tendencies...

This was easier a few years back when they were still together on The Don & Mike Show.

No comments: