Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Street Reconstruction

I believe I mentioned that our street is due to be reconstructed this year, and that I had some issues with their plans.  For the first time, I spoke to the City Council during their meeting tonight on this agenda item.  The meeting started at 6:30 pm, and I just got to speak about 9:30 pm.  I had 3 minutes to get my point across.  I was told my 3 minutes were up right before I said thank you at the end.  Pretty good timing, I'd say.

*               *               *

Good evening.

My wife and I are residents of Xxxxxx Street since 2009 and I wanted to speak tonight because while we agree this part of the street needs reconstruction, some of the data used for planning appears inaccurate and other factors not considered at all.

The data that notes this block of Xxxxxx Street averages 6 vehicles parked overnight and 5 during the day is highly inaccurate.  Since we saw that, my wife and I have been counting at various times of day and found that on weekdays we average 13 vehicles parked on the street overnight and 8 during the day.  These numbers increase significantly on the weekends to 12-15 vehicles parked on the street at any given time.

Per the Parking Exhibit PDF on the city website, Xxxxxx Street is due to have parking on only the north side with just 17 parking spots available.  This is also inaccurate as 3 vehicles will not reasonably fit between any two driveways, and keep in mind that city ordinance requires no parking within 4 feet of a driveway and 2 feet between cars.  This means only 15 parking spots, which is pretty close to 1 spot for every 2 houses on the block.

It’s a pretty long block, so this is problematic for several reasons:

    1. In 2019 you built a canoe slide at the end of our street and it gets used, mostly on weekends, and they arrive in vehicles that need to park somewhere.

    2. For years now on Saturdays a house near the creek is a pickup site for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) boxes.  So there are many people coming and going, all needing somewhere to park.

    3. Work vehicles for necessary house repairs and maintenance also need to be able to park near the residence where the work is to be done.

    4. But lastly, and I think most importantly, we don’t have reasonable nearby options for parking.

        A. Xxxxxx Street residents already sometimes use our street for overnight overflow parking.

        B. There is no parking on Xxxxxx Avenue.

        C. Xxxxxx Street will likely have the same issues we will because they are due to get even less parking than Xxxxxx Street with this project.

        D. And Xxxxxx Street is hundreds of feet away for most of the houses on this block, and they have their own residents who park there.

Please listen to these concerns and reconsider these plans for a more reasonable and flexible parking solution for our neighborhood.  We love living here and would like to continue to be able to host friends and family now and again - and be able to park close to our home when it’s necessary to park on the street.

Thank you.

                                                                  *               *               *

Good night.

8 comments:

delcatto said...

Good for you speaking up and getting your concerns across. Do you think they will listen to you?

I ask because I feel that car drivers and owners are an easy target for two planners and for taxation in the UK. There has to be a balance between the use of motor vehicles and the often pie in the sky desire for green aspirations and targets by planners and I see the latter as demonising and punishing car owners. Hopefully they will listen to you. I must write a post about car ownership, driving and the lunacy that is town and road planning in this country.

delcatto said...

Town planners not two planners whatever that is!

Scoakat said...

I looked back at what happened late at the meeting after I left, and they passed it with no concerns. Well, at least I said my piece.

I think you're spot on with their intentions.

Scoakat said...

I think I should have made myself more present earlier in the process, when given the chance. I'll know to pay more attention next time.

Blue Witch said...

Well done. And you're right, early intervention is the only thing that will ever make a difference.

Why not get elected to the Council?

I still can't believe you have to pay extra for this, even though it is detrimental to you!

Scoakat said...

Attending that meeting via Zoom pretty well confirmed that I certainly do not want to be in politics, on any level.

Blue Witch said...

Ah, it was a Zoom meeting. Nowhere near as effective for an individual wanting to make a point as face-to-face meetings. Over here such official meetings are no longer allowed to be via Zoom (that was only for about 2 years during the pandemic).

The problem with local politics is that no-one ever wants to get involved, because of all the other people involved - hence why such poor decisions are made by such poor quality individuals with few skills except a desire for self-agrandissement. Muuuch worse in very rural areas where the indigenous population resent anyone who has not lived in the area for at least 20 generations. DAMHIK...

Scoakat said...

I was prepared for video but only audio was allowed. We were warned against profanity, I can only imagine what has been seen for them to not allow video.

I believe what I said was too little too late, no matter Zoom or in person, at this meeting. Definite mental note made.