Tuesday, April 9, 2024

New Fence II

Our new cedar fence was installed yesterday with few issues.  In fact, they were done by noon, a couple hours before the daylight very noticeably dimmed due to the partial eclipse we had here. We like the new fence a lot, it looks real good and the back yard feels so much more private now.


I set up three cameras to capture the installation.  Trailcam One just captures pink pictures and video now so was unused.  Trailcam Two was on the side steps pointing down the lot line and was set to take one picture when triggered.  Trailcam Three was strapped to the back steps and was set to take a time lapse with pictures 15 seconds apart.  (Side note: Trailcam Three was bought just a few days ago, the same camera as Trailcam One since I couldn't find another with a forward facing screen and time lapse.  Let's hope Three lasts longer than One did.)  I also put an old Galaxy phone of mine on the back fence to take video of the whole morning.  The crew leader also set up his phone by the back steps to take his own time lapse, and I took pictures with my phone, so that makes 5 cameras covering the action that morning.

When we had the back fence installed late in 2020 I learned that it was good to be there when it happens.  They had plenty of questions and I was there to answer them to get the fence put in the way I wanted.  Again, it was very good that I was here.  One big issue - they weren't told to have the good side facing in (Madison is one of the few cities that lets you do that, otherwise you are required to install the good side facing the neighbors).  So if I had not been here our fence would have been installed backwards.  Tree roots and the back corner were also a bit of an issue, but easily overcome.

Below are the time lapse video from Trailcam Three and a sped up video from the Galaxy.  I couldn't figure out a way to make a video of reasonable length with the over 600 pictures Trailcam Two took, except manually which would take far too long to be worth it.



We got the wood stacked again after work today, so now I just have to have a fire for the first time this year!  Hard to believe, but having a fire will be easier, more comfortable and private now, I think.

If that's not enough, I'll put some pictures of the process that I took with my phone after the break.










5 comments:

delcatto said...

That was quick work and looks like a really good build. As you say, more privacy and it looks secure.
Will you leave it like that or paint / treat the wood? I guess it is already treated?

Scoakat said...

Cedar is naturally resistant to pests, mold and fungus so I'll leave it as is. In a few years it should be grayed and hopefully match the back fence.

They left me two old slats and 8 new ones, so I'm thinking of making a 6 foot section of fence to put behind the compost bin so they can weather and age similarly. Then, if I need to replace one in the future it will also match.

Scoakat said...

*5 foot, sorry. 2+8 is 10 of the 6-inch boards. I'll get a couple cedar boards to attach them across, so maybe I can buy a couple more so I can make it even wider. Hmmm...

Blue Witch said...

Ah, they've painted next door. Looks so much better!

I am amazed your workemn agreed to the videoing. Ours even moaned about the CCTV!

Scoakat said...

Yes, the paint is nice but so far a bit of a money pit for them, I think. There's been issues with the basement and sewer that hopefully are cleared up with recent work. Expensive work.

I didn't know how they'd react to the cameras, but they didn't even notice. And took their own video, to boot.