Saturday, September 30, 2023

Sunflower Seeds And #1 Neighborly

It was apparent by the mess outside the back door this morning that the sunflower had indeed gone to seed and those seeds had been discovered.  Squirrels had been getting at it this morning, while the cats watched diligently and silently from inside the porch and bedroom window, just feet away.  If I was going to harvest any seeds to plant next year the time seemed to be now.

Thankfully only a small part of the seeds had been pilfered so far, so I was able to get a good amount rubbed off into a small box.  They do seem a bit moist yet so I'll have to let them dry out before storing them until spring.  My mind starts to wander thinking about different places to plant them in spring, but no sense thinking about that as it is still about 7 months away yet before they'll be planted.

And while I'm thinking of it, I mowed the whole lawn today.  Only notable for the few times I've had to mow this year.  I believe it's only been: May, once; June, 1/2; July, 0; August, 1 1/2; September, once - today.  So I've mowed the whole lawn only 4 times and the back yard an additional 2 times through September this year.  Incredible, really, just absolutely incredible.

*          *          *

In other news, Madison was fashionably ranked number one on yet another list.  This time it is for the Most Neighborly City in the US, 2023, after being ranked second last year by neighbor dot com.  Madison has consistently made these kind of lists and has often topped these kinds of lists in the last several years.  No matter where you live it's easy to take what is local for granted, but there are actually a lot of good things about this area.  I often seem to find more and more to take for granted around here.  More lately, I've been trying to make an effort to take more advantage of many local amenities, but there's always more that get missed.  We have a really good zoo in town that I haven't been to in years, and I feel bad about it every time I think of it, for example.

*          *          *

Finally, it's the new fiscal year this weekend.  Normally not very notable but we're headed for another government shutdown at midnight due to the intellectual toddlers in Washington, and for the second straight year I have to work on a weekend.  Tomorrow afternoon I have to sign on for a few hours to get some end-of-fiscal-year work done and do some testing due to system updates for the fiscal year changeover, and I'm really not happy about it.  And since I work on government contracts but for a private company we will have business as usual if the government shuts down, but without funding it will be hectic catching up on payments once the in-fighting in the Senate and House gets resolved.

We all have to work together if we are to survive.  The way things are going now, we're doomed.

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

We are all doomed. It's just how long before either Mr Putin or Mr Trump push that red button.

Zoos - why curtail the freedom of wild animals for the pleasure of humans?

Hope your end of year work stuff can get done swiftly. It's interesting that our end of year is 6th April and yours is 1st October. I don't know how our date came to be.

Scoakat said...

Instead of the expected text after 3 in the afternoon, I woke up to a text at 6:30 this morning that I would be expected to log on at 8 am. I tried over and over but the system would not let me on yet did not lock my account. Helpdesk showed no activity for me. To me it seemed obvious that I was just not being allowed to log on and most likely it was because it was Sunday, when they'd have to pay me double time.

I talked to helpdesk once, then again to fulfill my supervisor's request. I got the same person both times and they could do nothing but say to talk to my supervisor and restart my system. I felt blamed and the vp told everyone there is no reason he can't log on, everyone else can. After an hour and a half they had a 'helpdesk guy' (that actually had to be much higher) call me.

It was exactly as what I told them it had to be, I had a log on restriction that prevented me from logging on, on Sundays (and outside of 5 am to 10 pm every other day). This had never come up before because I have no interest - or permission - to work outside of my normal 7-3 on weekdays. This IT guy said that it's not something they do anymore and it's been a couple years since he's even seen one.

So I claimed 4.25 hours today, half was identifying and resolving my logon issue. On a Sunday, and I have to be normal to these people tomorrow. I like my job. Not my supervisor, manager, or employer. That's unfortunate for me.

This was a good vent. Read it now, I may delete it when I sober up.

Blue Witch said...

That's appalling. Not to be believed I mean. And to be TOLD by text that you had to work earlier than you'd agreed. it's like that company think they own you.

I do think that is a big difference between US companies' attitudes to employees and UK ones. I noticed it a lot when people from the US arm of Mr BW's old employer came to the UK and we had the job of 'entertaining' them. Many interesting conversations were had over a few drinks. The way things are in the UK now, employers have to be oh so very careful not to upset employees.

I didn't know you worked 7-3. If working from home, I'd quite like that, but not it working from an office.

delcatto said...

I agree with BW as that is an appalling way for an employer to behave.

It is thankfully very different over here.

Scoakat said...

Thank you for the validation. I'm in a predicament, in more ways than one.