Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Gameday Baking

Kate made olive parmesan bread on Sunday morning.  It was a first try making it and it turned out very good.  She thawed the frozen white bread dough in the fridge overnight, then let it rise a bit more before cutting it into pieces, then mixing it with various sliced olives, shredded parmesan cheese and olive oil.  I suggested the square baking dish but next time I think she'll try it on a tray with parchment paper.

When I told my Mom some time ago that we were getting these loaves of frozen bread dough she reminded me of when I was young she'd make cinnamon rolls out of it.  I'm sure they were yummy so we may try that in the future.

Once Kate was done in the kitchen I began making baguette.  It was a couple hours before the Packer game at noon so I knew it would overlap but I can still hear the television from the kitchen.  And I often text with my Mom during the games so I texted her pics and kept her up with the process.  So, since I already have the pictures, I'll put that baguette process after the break with some narrative on the changes I made to my technique. 

So far I had normally been following the King Arthur Classic Baguette recipe pretty closely.  But toward the end of that page they have a link to a video, also from King Arthur - video here.  The recipe calls for oil when rising initially so I had continued that on the work surface instead of flour until the shaping stage, and I now use flour instead starting at the point of dividing the dough after the initial rises.  I do have to remember to spray the film before covering to let them rest, however.

The recipe calls to divide the dough and form into balls before letting them rest but I started following the video and forming them into a pre-shape.  Here, thinking ahead, I divided it into 2 pre-shapes of 300 grams and one of 350 grams, on the left.  The two smaller ones will be made into 4 demi baguettes. 

From here, I folded, formed and sealed them as normal.  Forming the baguette naturally elongates the dough so very little rolling is needed to get them to size.  The two smaller pre-shapes got formed and rolled then cut in half as making them smaller on their own is difficult.

Eventually I preheated the oven to 475ºF and had a cup of boiling water ready for the pan in the bottom of the oven.  I'm still using a serrated bread knife to make the cuts (but I may get a baker's lame soon) and I've stopped misting the loaves with a spray bottle of water, trusting the steam from the water pan to work its magic.

I've also been playing with the oven temperature, lowering it a bit after putting them in and extending the baking time a few minutes.  So far it seems to be working well, and I ended up with some pretty good-looking baguettes.

We really enjoy the this bread and I like trying to make it better each time, so I just haven't branched out to other recipes in some time now.  I am anxious to make that French bread recipe again, but there's only two of us so there just hasn't been a need yet.  That's okay, quality over quantity is a good thing here..

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

You two will soon be giving up work and opening an artisan bakery! All looks fantastic.

delcatto said...

They look scrumptious. I will have to make some this weekend.

Scoakat said...

The idea's been floated in jest, BW, but the work to make that happen is immense when you really think about it. I'm happy with it just for ourselves, and a select few recipients sometimes.

You don't talk about baking or cooking much, delcatto, but I have a feeling you're pretty good at it from how you wrote about it recently.

delcatto said...

I enjoy cooking and learnt a lot from my mum. She used to home bake bread and cook all sorts of meals and growing up in a multi ethnic area she tried her hand at all sorts of food.