Saturday, March 13, 2021

Beef! Quarter Cow #5

We got the call last night that our split half of beef was ready to pick up, so today we made the trip north to go get it.  It was a little over an hour's drive each way this beautiful day, passing several water park/resorts, ski hills and crossing the Wisconsin River.  In fact, much of the drive followed the Wisconsin River Valley, but while we saw lots of wetlands we really only saw the actual river when we crossed it.  We also saw several signs and flags supporting Trump, so we felt like we were in a different land a bit.  I was doing the driving so my lovely wife took some pictures along the way back, I'll add some after the break for those interested.

We'd done our research on various places to get a quarter cow, and this one seemed very reasonable and reputable so when the time came we had no reservations.  Wisconsin River Meats is the place, in the middle of nowhere outside of Mauston, WI.  And while we were there we stocked up on various sausages, jerky and bacon as well.  And while less than half the people we saw wore a mask, both customers and employees, everyone was very nice and helpful.  We, of course, wore ours.

The first four times we got a quarter cow we went in on a whole cow with a friend and his family, so basically we and him split half the cow.  This place offered a split half, cuts from the front and back halves, so we have all the usual steaks and roasts, plus 50 one-pound packages of ground beef.  Overall, it turned out to be 131 pounds of meat and cost about $5.21 per pound across the board.  That's about $0.22 a pound more than the last one we got in October of 2019, which seems pretty reasonable considering all that's happened since then.

So, we're feeling pretty good about ourselves now with a freezer full of meat that will last us at least a year.  In fact, while I have a ticket for another livestream concert later tonight, I just might have a fire this evening!


Pictures from the trip are after the break.




7 comments:

Scoakat said...

I purposely zoomed out a bit on the map to show our proximity to places like Green Bay, Milwaukee and Chicago on the right and Dubuque on the left.

I mentioned in the comments for the last post growing up a few hundred miles south, and just now I noticed the marker at the bottom of the map picture. That's it - Dixon, Illinois.

Scoakat said...

Not a few hundred miles, more like only 120 or so. Seems so much farther. I keep thinking about a trip back to look around. I guess I should do that sometime.

Blue Witch said...

My geography and appreciation of the scenery of the US improves every time you write a post like that, thank you!

Holy cow, I have no idea how they can sell meat that cheaply.

Scoakat said...

I like seeing others' environs, so I like to share mine. I'm glad you appreciate it, thank you!

Not a bad price for how we bought it, but surely lots more if everything was bought individually at a grocery or meat market. Is beef expensive over there?

Blue Witch said...

I don't eat it, but yes, it's the most expensive of the meats. eg https://www.steyningbutchers.co.uk/15-beef for examples.

Scoakat said...

So, if I figured right in my conversion of kilos to lbs and pounds to dollars, that's $5.05/lb for steak mince and $18.33/lb for ribeye. Per the link you gave.

Our equivalent would be $5.29/lb for ground sirloin (there are cheaper versions) and 15.99/lb for Ribeye. Per the grocery store that we shop at.

Overall, not as far off as it first appeared. But sure makes my $5.21/lb for everything look inexpensive and makes a very good argument for buying in bulk!

Blue Witch said...

I am surprised that there is so little in it. Mind you. I think average salaries over there are higher than here, although you get a lot less annual leave time each year.

But yes, you got a good deal, and you know where your cow came from.