Monday, March 8, 2021

Back Yard Visit

We took another walk this afternoon, the most beautiful day yet this year with temperatures right now at 62ºF (about 17ºC).  Coincidentally, the same as it was exactly one year ago today per my post last year of two days later.  That was a Sunday and we got the grill out for dinner then.  We've not gotten the cow yet, so not much for us to grill to be able to do that tonight.  Also different than last year is we don't have the rabbit population we did then, so not near as much rabbit poop left behind in the back yard - except for where I stood for this picture yesterday, of course!

I made several trips in my big snow boots out to the compost bin so far this year, and one side trip over to the woodpile to re-fasten the velcro on the right side.  I retraced my steps back through the deep snow to my path to the compost bin, so only one set of tracks and you can still see them here, barely hanging on.  Pretty dramatic difference from where the sun hits and where it doesn't.

The forecast calls for it to get cooler, day by day, until next week when there is (so far) a chance for snow again on Monday, but we'll see.  Do you have spring fever yet?

P.S.  Happy Birthday to my sister, Kelly!

9 comments:

Nic said...

I just can't imagine having had snow around for so long....we had it for about a week and that seemed to be forever!

Our weather changes almost daily at the moment. A couple of weeks ago it was almost 20°C then the other night it was down to -5°C. So nearly 70°F down to 23°F. I'm of an age that relates to both °C and °F as I grew up with the latter but the general use here changed to the former at some point between my youth and now (and as a scientist I used centigrade anyway).
Today it is blowing a gale. 45-50mph gusts and lots of bits of tree all over the place.

Scoakat said...

As much as snow we had, it's almost all gone now.

I had to put that thermometer picture on my site because reading anything from other than here I'm always looking for a conversion!

Until I was 11 I lived a few hundred miles south, and while we still got some snow we get much more here in Wisconsin. You just get used to it. Still a chance for sloppy weather in the forecast, but anything can happen in March.

Between your and BW's winds I want to stake you guys down! Is the UK generally windy?

Nic said...

I'd previously have said that no, this wasn't a particularly windy country. We do have a lot of coast with a lot of wind turbines though...and we're just a few miles from both the coast and a slightly inland windfarm so not that surprising to find that we're in a windier spot than I've lived previously....we are higher than most of the village too so get the prevailing SW winds first. Another tree down yesterday, I was frantically chain-sawing at it as it lent to save a fence.
Witchy too is in a pretty exposed spot now so not surprising that it's windy for her too.

Blue Witch said...

Excessive wind in the UK for the past few days.

Climate change, Mr Trump, it's a real thing. Thanks for all you did during your reign to help.

We had snow showers this mornign and sleet and hail yesterday. 7 weeks of msotly snow form 24th December was enoug for me.

And as for rabbits - ruddy rabbits - I'll get me gun. If only we had one...

delcatto said...

Very windy here and yesterdays excitement was a tree falling across the road as I drove under and through it. I was running on adrenalin for the next few hours but having been back to see the tree, now cut up and moved to the side of the road, I realise my guardian angel earned their pay and more!!

Scoakat said...

Must be unusually windy there now with two reports here of fallen trees! So glad you escaped harm, delcatto. And I trust you saved the fence, Nic, but 'another?' How many have fallen by you?

Free firewood, anyway. Build a firepit! But for me to have a firepit the wind must be less than 10 mph or smoke spreads wider that it does up, it seems. I don't want to bother the neighbors with it, after all.

Scoakat said...

I must apologize, I feel I glossed over it, but so very glad you're safe, Declan! Somebody died here a few years ago when a tree fell on them while they were driving on a road I used to use every day. I hope you write about it, I want to read more about it!

delcatto said...

Thanks Scott. I will blog later as it's been a hectic time at work and I feel like I have worked and slept with nothing else going on.

Nic said...

Fallen near us? Loads but we are right next to a wood that hasn't been managed in at least twenty years.
The one in question was one of ours....we're on a former apple orchard and the apple trees had already been left to get far too big before we moved here. With the very wet winter we've just found a lot have fallen over with even moderate winds. Yes the usable bits are now in the barn to be ready for burning in a couple of years time. And the fence is mainly OK!