Thursday, January 14, 2021

January This-and-Thats

We're well into the new year now and other than for a little insurrection review I've not posted in 2021.  We are entering the doldrums of winter here, and during a pandemic still, so there's not a whole lot going on for us lately.  Despite that, there must be a few things I could say so time to start typing and see what happens.

  • First, let's get this out of the way:  I hope he gets the book thrown at him and dies alone in jail.  I don't care if it's from taxes to insurrection as long as he gets locked up.  He went from sideshow to embarrassment to disturbing to criminal psychopath and wanna-be dictator.  Enough said.
  • That reminds me of a saying I heard recently.  "It's easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they are being fooled."  I thought that made a lot of sense, from what I've been seeing.
  • Now, for a totally different thought, why does this rug seem so much harder to keep clean back here rather than when it was in the living room?
  • I may have said this before, but I don't read books anymore.  Not really a conscious choice as I used to read every day on my breaks at work, now I don't go to work and I have different habits at home.  Probably just as well, I read mostly 'rock star' autobiographies and while some are very good some are very not.  I'm thinking of this because I was excited to see another one the other day and almost bought it - until I read the very unflattering reviews.
  • I splurged on my computer setup.  I returned a 24 inch monitor to work and bought a computer stand with 2 heavy duty arms and a 32 inch monitor to match the one I already have.  It certainly helps for work having two same-size monitors, but my desk looks like a gamer station now.  I don't play a lot of games but I do watch a lot of videos, concerts and even sports on the computer.  Maybe concerts not so much anymore, but there hasn't been many new concerts now in a long time.
  • And my 'good back' chair gave up the ghost recently, so now I work in lowrider style in my 'relaxing' chair to save my back until the new chair arrives in about a week.  Had to spend more this time for quality to support my back while I work and I want just one good chair that meets all my needs.
  • Does it seem like I use too many commas and also not enough contractions when I write?  I think so.  I've been a little hyper-conscious of these things lately, for some reason.
  • We've not gotten much snow since the last storm I wrote about, just a few overnight dustings, some of which was rime frost from the 10 straight days of fog and freezing fog we had.  Anytime now, though, it will start snowing and we're expected to get 2-4 inches through tomorrow.  We are fully in winter now, and this is what winter does.  On the bright side I got my vacation weeks for the year approved today, in May and September.
  • While the Badgers football team had a disappointing and disjointed season during this pandemic, the Packers are the number one seed in the NFC for the NFL playoffs.  Hopefully two wins in Lambeau Field so they can go win the Super Bowl, starting Saturday afternoon.  Go Pack Go!

Well, only one workday left until the weekend.  With our new work contract we no longer get the christian holiday Good Friday off but we do get Martin Luther King Jr Day off now.  About time.  There might have been a few other changes, I can't remember, but this one just makes sense.  That means a long weekend this weekend so, for Monday, happy MLK Day!

8 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Is Melania going to hang about when hubbie is stripped bare?
Have you seen the sad post she's (her 'staff') put on the WH website?

It's impossible to have too many commas: makes reading much easier.

Scoakat said...

Melania? I think her contract is probably up soon. I wouldn't worry about her too much, I'll bet she'll be very well off with or without him.

I had to look up what she wrote. Maybe she just has good PR and writers. I don't recall ever actually listening to her give a speech or anything, she was just the Pres' arm candy to me. But I'm sure I'm not giving her enough credit.

What I really have enjoyed are the times she's pulled her hand away from him and the glares she got caught giving him!

Blue Witch said...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/first-lady-melania-trump-path-forward/

Hilarious comedy play on BBC Radio 4 this afternoon about the history of Trumpdom. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009qn6 (hope you can access this in the US)

Blue Witch said...

I enjoyed Bruce Springsteen's and Steve Earle's autobiographies.
Which have you enjoyed?

Scoakat said...

I did read her article, well, skimmed it. And I can access the radio show, I'll listen to it soon! I discovered the puppet show "Spitting Image" recently on Youtube and like their funny take on him.

Books, well, Keith Richards' book is probably the best I've read yet. Also good was Slash's, and Scott Ian has a couple books and also done spoken word shows. Paul Stanley, Duff McKagan, Flea and Bruce Dickinson all have pretty good books. David Cassidy, Al Jourgensen, Dave Mustaine... I've lots more, some just biographies, but I think I'll decline to name the poor ones - trashy and cash grabs, they can be. And, of course, I lean toward the heavy music and I'm biased for my longtime rock idols, like Ace Frehley.

Blue Witch said...

Where is Spitting Image on YouTube please? I thought it was only on paid Netflix and I would love to see it again (it was originally on in the 1980s and was hilarious in the Thatcher days).

I've heard of Keith Richards and David Cassidy... but the rest...

Scoakat said...

Here's the channel for the show, only a few months old now that I look:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCov3Uxwgh6Fq_2F7oW9-hA

And yes, it is a musical and literary niche, for the most part.

Blue Witch said...

Brilliant, thanks. Some of the wonderful old stuff as well as snippets of the new (on BritBox, I was wrong about Netflix).