Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Is The Newspaper Still Worth The Cost?

For most of my life I've read the newspaper, and mostly that paper has been the Wisconsin State Journal.  When I was young my parents were subscribed.  In my young adulthood I usually picked up the paper on my way to work every day.  I went through fits and starts subscribing for myself, but usually ended up cancelling due to issues, mostly that the paper would not consistently arrive early enough for me.  This is also why I changed from subscribing 7 days a week to just getting the Sunday and Wednesday subscription option since we bought the house in 2009.  Eventually I learned not to count on the paper to read before work, so I'm no longer concerned too much what time it arrives on Sunday or Wednesday.

This Sunday/Wednesday subscription to the Wisconsin State Journal consists of either 8 or 9 newspapers a month, 9 a month for 8 of 12 months in 2021, 104 newspapers a year.  Keep in mind, these different days of papers are not created equal.  The Sunday paper offers much more than a daily paper, though the Sunday and Wednesday papers are both loaded with ads, which is why you can only subscribe to the Sunday paper if you get Wednesday's, as well.

Last month they sent me a notice that my subscription price would be changing next month.  They cite the online access and other perks that justify the cost, but really all I want is the newspaper.  Thinking about this, I wanted to know what the newsstand price was for both, the Sunday and daily papers.  You think you can find that online somewhere?  Fat chance.  I finally found an email for their customer service, and they replied that it is $2.50 for the daily paper and $5.00 for Sunday.  (I remember paying only $0.35 for a daily paper on the way to work, years ago).  I forgot to ask if these prices would also be changing soon, so I replied to ask and have yet to hear back.

So, at my subscription price of $37.50 a month, that is $450.00 a year and $4.33 a paper on average.  The newsstand price would be $390.00, which is $60.00 to have it delivered for a year.  And sixty bucks for 104 deliveries is probably worth it, I think.  But is the overall cost for the paper itself worth it?  I guess I've thought so for several years now.

Now, as I mentioned, they recently sent me notice that my subscription price is changing.  It is going up to $43.00 a month starting in February.  So let me look at those numbers again.  $43.00 a month is now $516.00 a year and $4.96 a paper on average.  That's $66.00 a year and $0.63 a paper more than I'm paying now.

Sure, I can afford it, but do I still think it's worth it?  Do you?

5 comments:

delcatto said...

I used to enjoy reading newspapers and for years in London I would buy the evening Standard after work to read at home or in the pub. I used to buy the Grimsby Telegraph here but these days I get all my news on-line.I do miss reading a good newspaper and when I spend time at my Mum's house I generally enjoy reading the papers she has.

I guess 'Is it worth it?' depends on what's in the paper and do you enjoy it, are you satisfied with the content?
Would it be easier to pick a copy up on the way to work?

Scoakat said...

Yes, it is a very subjective question. I guess I don't have my answer just yet. I rarely leave the house and when I do I would be unlikely to stop somewhere just for a paper. And strange how my first thought is how these papers are my fire starters, so maybe not worth it.

And see what I did there with the right side justification, like a newspaper? ;)

Blue Witch said...

Do they do new subscriber offers? If so, cancel that subscription and take out a new one. If there is a minimum period between ending and starting a new sub, put it in your wife's name.

We get Radio Times (our TV and radio listings magazine) delivered on subscription, and they play this game regularly.

Only you can judge whether it is worth it to you.

For me, it wouldn't be, because I'd never get round to reading it, but, I'm not you!

Think of what else you could buy with the same amount of money, and that might make it a more valid comparison. A beer - or - a paper perhaps?

Nic said...

The value is very hard to calculate I agree. We also have a daily newspaper delivered and have it on a subscription that makes it about 30% cheaper than buying it at the cover price.
I do prefer a paper to reading everything online...there's just something different about the dynamic.
We pay almost as much again to have it delivered but then it's not a paper boy or girl on a push bike where we are as it gets delivered by a van so I certainly hope he earns more than the £5 a week I used to earn for my two paper rounds in the '70's.
I'm sure at some point soon newspapers will disappear and that will be sad.

Scoakat said...

Hi guys! A new subscription is the same price - no deals, unfortunately. And yes, Nic, I've not seen a kid delivering papers in a very long time. I'm sure it still happens in smaller communities sometimes, but otherwise it's an adult driving a vehicle these days. (I had a once-a-week route of 155 papers when I was a kid, pulled in a wagon all over town. I made less than six bucks a week on that.)

We've had the same deliverer for a couple years now, and I usually give him 10 or 20 bucks at Christmas because he is very good and always gets the paper on the stoop just outside the door. He could just drop it at the end of the driveway, like some do, and if he did that would also affect my decision.

I think for the time being it will continue, but it does weigh on my mind and I will be more conscious of what I actually get out reading it. I'll also be reminded every month when I put it in the checkbook.

So, no decision made yet. Still gathering data, I guess.