Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day This-And-Thats

Happy Leap Day, if you celebrate such things.  Today, while sunny, has only just reached the freezing point.  There has been some snow and some melting since I last posted two weeks ago.  You can just see the upper row of blocks of the firepit in the back yard now.  Spring should be so close, yet is still so far away.  I won't go into it again because I did that in my last post.  Since then, I've felt I should write something yet there really hasn't seemed to be much to share, so you know what that means - time to start typing and see what comes out!

  • We ordered new phones from Amazon the other night.  I don't want to say much yet because it's a new brand to us, and my wife will get hers in about a week while I have to wait about a month.  If we don't like it then things might change.  What was shocking, was the same phone was $170 cheaper in a less attractive color.  My wife got the cheaper color, and I feel like I should have, too, but I spent the money for the vanity black one.  This will only be my third cell phone ever, and I had to spend the last several years with a white phone, so I spent the money for black even though I will have it in a case.  There may be more to come on this, or else no news is probably good news.
  • Last Saturday afternoon I was sorely tempted to trudge a path to the firepit, empty the snow, melt what was left inside with the garden torch, trudge a short path to the wood rack and then start a fire.  The temperature was about 40ºF, the wood was dry and I just miss being outside.  But I didn't, and I can blame laziness and sanity equally.
  • I'm almost afraid to mention it, but we've only had mandatory overtime once (a week ago) in the last several weeks now.  If you've been reading for a while, I'd been on mandatory overtime (as much as union rules allow my employer to mandate) for over a year and a half.  It is such a relief to only work 40 hours, only 8 hours a day.  I want a regular schedule again.  I want to sleep later again.  I want to not be tired all the time or just not have time again.  You know, I just want normal life back, but I'm still not at ease yet.
  • I'm very aware that I've not had a Latest Listening Pleasure post since Alice Cooper last summer.  I've not attended any shows nor have I heard anything that really, really grabbed me in quite a while.  Oh, there's been good albums and good videos that I've heard and seen and enjoyed since then, just nothing that I really dug enough to overflow my musical joy and spill over to share here.  I came close once, but while I enjoyed them there were things that annoyed me as well.  Highlight right of the arrow, if you want to know the band's name. >  New Years Day
  • There are two 1' by 2' boxes full of albums in my closet.  I do have a record player in the closet, too, but no place to set it up even if I thought I would actually play the records.  These are mostly the albums I grew up with, either bought new, traded with friends, or sought out and collected.  Most are from the 1980's, and I've not even seen them in years now.  I should sell them, but first I need to go through them.  I may not be able to part with them all, but I really should part with what I can.  It's just one of those things I know I should do but keep putting off.
That's enough brain spillage for one sitting.  I've not really taken a lot of nice pictures lately, but I took a look and here's some views from here at the desk from past pictures.  To everyone out there, it's just that time of year - I've not been very outgoing, social, or even healthy and happy yet, but Spring is coming, and it won't be a moment too soon!

6 comments:

delcatto said...

Lovely photo of the cats.

I can understand that about records as I still have a box of albums I should let go but the memories... The cheap record player is gathering dust as is the box of albums. I might donate them to our local cat rescue lady to auction off for funds. I got rid of several books of cassette tapes some years back but I shall hold on to my CD's. When I eventually retire I might have to stop spotify to save money and I can listen to the CD's instead.

As for the weather, stuck indoors and I have little interest in going out. Sue is unwell with a head cold so she's stuck in as well.
Roll on Spring!

Scoakat said...

I too have CD's, but storing them is easier. I'm mostly digital these days.

Blue Witch said...

I'm looking forward to playing vinyl again very soon. So much more pleasurable than CDs - and I only have one digital track (Birdhouse in Your Soul, as you ask). Nothing would ever persuade me to willingly part with my vinyl (singles and LPs).

Glad work is consuming less of your waking hours - long may it last.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. I'm guessing you'll be home very soon, then? I recall allusion to stress somewhere, I hope there was more joy than not while in SA this year!

Blue Witch said...

We've been home 10 days now. The exxxtreme stress is continuing. I stopped blogging at about the time things started to go downhill in SA, both in SA and at home, relayed to us by neighbours (and there was no electricity and therefore no internet more often than not). Trying to problem - solve form 6,000 miles away, with no reliable communication is hard.

Sorry to be mysterious. I'll hopefully feel like blogging again soon - but don't want to jinx anything. Although, thinking, it would be hard to jinx things more than they've already self-jinxed, actually!

Scoakat said...

Sorry to hear, BW, and all my best to you and Mr BW.