Saturday, February 15, 2020

Firepit Deep


The snow is about firepit deep in the back yard.  It was a bit deeper, but for the normal settling and melting, and the dark metal firepit insert melted the snow above it just to show me where I could be having a fire, except for obvious reasons.

All in all, I can't really complain about our winter so far this year compared to how I know it can be.  Still, I'm starting to get a bit of cabin fever, even while the more sunlight/longer days makes me feel better.  I've talked about how the cold this winter really hasn't affected me much, as in not having to wear bulky winter gear while still being comfortable, or ever being outside long enough to get that cold, but I just don't get to be outside then.  And that gets old.

I'm tired of wearing socks and long pants.  Long sleeves and layers.  And laundry - there's so much more to do in winter.  I look forward to the times of shorts and flip-flops, grilling out and firepits, bike rides and open windows, summer and warmth!

For perspective, here's a similar picture from last May 31.  The maple tree seeds littered the lawn then, and the hostas weren't quite yet fully grown.

I know spring is near, but we've plenty of winter left for anything to happen.  It's still been a winter, and I'm starting to get pretty tired of it.  But that's normal, and that's okay.  I think it may actually make spring that much sweeter.  And may explain why we Wisconsinites wear sweatshirts and long pants at 50ºF in the fall and shorts and t-shirts at the same temp in the spring!

2 comments:

delcatto said...

Our current winter over here must be more like slow half-hearted Wisconsin spring to you. A bit of snow, sleet, rain and wind...no settled snow and temperatures are above freezing (Celsius). We still moan and whinge about it despite it being mild in comparison with the weather you get. Roll on Spring, it can't arrive soon enough.

Scoakat said...

I was sooo tempted to dig out the firepit and have a fire last Saturday afternoon, a week after this post. It looked the same as here, but it was a bit above freezing then and would probably have worked out, I just didn't though. Agreed - Spring can't arrive soon enough!