Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Planes, Planes, Planes

We live on the near east side of Madison, Wisconsin, just a couple miles south of Dane County Regional Airport and Truax Field, home of the 115th Fighter Wing of the Wisconsin Air National Guard.  The main runway is in line with a few blocks to our west, so we get a really good view of the air traffic.  The amount of traffic can vary at times, actually rather busy as I type this, and consists of very small to medium/large passenger planes.  Depending on the day and weather we either get take-offs or landings.  I like the landings as we get a better view of the planes, while the take-offs can be louder because planes are accelerating but they are also getting higher and can veer off to either side.

We knew about this aspect when we bought the house ten years ago, and it wasn't a concern then and it still isn't now as we really love our house, our location, and our proximity to work and local businesses (and the bike path though we need to take more advantage of it).  I've even grown to really like watching them - in fact, I think I always have liked it.  Sometimes the jets can get real loud, but they are somewhat fascinating as well - and nice to know we are so protected here in the upper Midwest.  And they almost always go in twos, so if you hear one, get ready for another one coming.  They also usually advertise when they will be doing extensive training, but that doesn't seem to stop some idiots in the neighborhood from complaining on the neighborhood farcebook page (I'm told).  Once, we even saw a military transport plane taking off over us - it was so big and so low it felt like I could throw a rock and hit it!

Pursuant to a conversation with blogger friend Blue Witch in the comments a few posts ago, I thought I would try to get some video to share to show what we see daily.  Now, I may hear scores of them go by on a single day, but I'm not usually in a good position to capture it on video.  In fact, the first one I took after that conversation may be the best of them all.  It's the first one in the video compilation below, in the evening with the plane's lights on.  Over the last week or two I've tried to get video and found it's not as easy as I thought.  First, I've not had a fire the last couple weekends so I've not spent that much time out in the yard and ready to record.  I've tried running out when I hear one coming, but to very mixed results, as you will see.  And I always seemed to miss the bigger ones, and the Frontier ones where I can try and make out the animal on the tail.  I've no video of the jets yet though I'll keep that in the back of my mind for future, but they're not just loud - they're freaking fast!

Total, I got over a dozen videos, 11 of which are compiled below, one of which I would take out if I wanted to spend more time on it.  Only the last video is of a take-off, this afternoon and right overhead.  I used Windows video editor for the first time to make one video out of all the clips and spent very little time on it.  Sorry, but it's good enough for this purpose.  It is posted to my YouTube account, but it is not listed for the moment, it's only posted here.



Yes, we have noise in the background here on the near east side; airplanes, street traffic, even and railroad tracks a few blocks away.  I've noticed this more than ever during this recent time of trying to get video of airplanes.  I do remember once several weeks ago, later at night out by the fire, hearing a plane, a train, and the traffic all at once and thinking that would be an interesting thing to capture.  Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!  We'll see, maybe that opportunity will arise this summer.

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

That was very interesting, even without sound. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I'll watch it again when I'm on a computer that has sound facility (all my gadgets have sound/bleeps etc 'off' permanently!).

You, clearly, are not a noise hater, whereas I find even breathing too loud sometimes!!!

As I said before, I think that people's tolerance for noise is one of the widest variables between individuals.

Out of interest, do you get planes 24 hours, or are there restrictions on the hours between which they can fly?

delcatto said...

Fascinating to watch. We see a lot of military aircraft further south in Lincolnshire with Typhoons, Tornadoes and the occasional Chinook when I am working. There is a RAF bombing range on the coast and Humberside airport is nearby but I don't tend to notice that. My bugbear is noisy mopeds and loud car stereos. I have to be honest in that as I get older I like the sounds of nature more and in the car I tend to listen to BBC Radio 3 for classical music although headphones and spotify most evenings for a variety of music.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW and Delcatto. I guess we can just tune it out. We notice, but we're so used to it we don't pay attention usually. Also, I grew up on 80's heavy metal and still love the genre - and, though I've been turning it down more the last few years, my hearing is decreasing and my tinnitus is increasing so I'd like to slow that trend. But it's difficult at times - I love the music!

BW, the airport does close for a few hours overnight still. Madison has three major hubs in the region in Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit, so while the airport has grown over the years it's thankfully not a major stop and shouldn't become one.

Delcatto, you might really like the military plane aspect with Truax Field. I don't keep up with the planes they keep, but I do know they're supposed to be getting a couple of the most advanced ones in the next year or two. I wish I could remember the details now.

My best story of being at the airport is meeting Tiny Tim at maybe 4:30 or 5 in the morning there. This was around the mid-90's, I think. We were 2 of the first 4 people there that morning. I greeted him, got a picture with him, then had to spend almost a half hour making uncomfortable conversation with him. I hate to say it, but he smelled!

Blue Witch said...

I had to Google Tiny Tim. Lost in Translation...

Scoakat said...

Was Tiny Tim just an American thing?

I googled him to see what came up for you. I see he died in November 1996, and I think it was that summer I met him. Yes, he smelled, but he was not in good shape requiring an airport wheelchair to get him to his plane. He was doing some shows in Wisconsin Dells and was flying to Kentucky for a one-off show, if I remember right. He had is famous ukulele with him in a canvas bag. I kinda felt sorry for him.

I was there because I had won a trip/tickets off the radio to a music festival in San Francisco for the weekend.