Thursday, May 16, 2019

Vacation So Far

So far it's been a good vacation, mainly because I've not had to go to work, but also because I've been getting lots of things done.  And that's despite coming down with a pretty nasty cold on Friday.  I didn't do much Saturday or Sunday other than lay around and be sick, but I steeled myself and powered through it on Monday and Tuesday, and finally started feeling like myself again yesterday.

First project was getting the basement steps painted, and it took two days because I did it in halves.  If anyone knows a better way I'm willing to listen for next time, but no, I did not feel every other step made sense as I know I would step on one I shouldn't while it was drying.  They had to be painted last at least several years before we bought the house, and we've been here 10 years now (yesterday).  I knew I wanted to paint them but didn't know how badly it was needed until I saw the side by side.  Drying time was mostly while the cats napped so there were no issues with them wanting downstairs.  I had a baby gate to keep them out and a temporary litter box upstairs if needed.

Aside from the stairs, I power washed and water sealed the back steps, washed and waxed the car, got lumber and hardware for the cat box area and did a plethora of smaller projects and tasks around the house that either needed to be done or I wanted done.  It feels good to mark things off my list, but unfortunately there's still just as much on the list as I've crossed off of it.  Mostly things that are not urgent and will not get done this week but I do want to keep them on my radar.

Yesterday evening my Mom and her husband Dan came up to see us.  It was a beautiful day yesterday, maybe the warmest day of the year so far as it made it up to the low 70's F.  We spent the hours around the fire pit talking and ordered out pizza and ice cream for dinner.  It was very nice to see them - and finally exchange Christmas gifts!  Yes, it had been too long as we didn't make it down there on Easter.  Thankfully, both seem very well and happy and it was a very nice visit.


Today is a different story.  I got a few things done early, then the rain moved in.  It should be gone by midday easily though there is a chance for more later in the afternoon.  In between the rains it's supposed to get even warmer today, into the upper 70's F, and my guess is it will also be very humid.  That leaves me to do a few inside chores today, but also a lot of resting as all the early week projects have left my back needing a break.  I've had some issues with my back recently, but thankfully not near as as bad as this time last year when I thought I'd be getting another surgery.

Tomorrow and the weekend looks like a few more showers expected, but hopefully I can get some more things done.  I don't plan on any projects over the weekend other than my wife and I want to get plants and fill pots on Saturday.  I've always enjoyed my spring 'plant day,' but it does get to be a little much so it will be nice having her help.  There are a couple other things planned, as well, but that's for a different post.

There's some more pictures after the break - with a little bit of captioning. ;)

The finished stairs - gotta be careful when wearing only socks now!




The flowers we have.  Purple puffballs are only days away.

Grass is green again, no filter used!

A ball of Basil-Boo.  His fur is growing back and he's healing nicely.


4 comments:

delcatto said...

You are good at DIY and organised with it too. Sadly I am hopelessly inept when it comes to repairs. I can do basics but the sink has needed a new plug and trap for some time now and I really must organise myself to buy the stuff and replace the old one. I might buy it and bribe my son to do it as he is very good with his hands. He'll enjoy doing it too. I have a week off in June so the t might be the time to crack on with repairs.
Good to see the fire pit in use and hopefully the first of many nights. Also good to see Basil healing well. Our weather...a few days of wonderful warm and sun filled days but the rain arrived today. My plants are thriving as are the weeds! Enjoy your time off.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Declan. I don't know how to do everything, sometimes you just roll up your sleeves and have at it - and there's a Youtube video for everything! That said - I hate doing plumbing, good luck.

It has been restful the last few days as back trouble stopped me in my tracks. Probably best for me, though. I'll not get all done I wanted to, but that's okay.

Mom said...

Thank you, Scott and Kate. We had a wonderful time visiting you. Love the photo of our feet around the fire!!

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Mom! Sorry, just noticed your comment. It was a very nice night by the fire with you guys. And early enough to be mosquito-free, but that won't last much longer.