Saturday, October 20, 2018

First Snow of the Season, 2018

I was watching the Badger game today when it started snowing on TV.  Realizing the game is here, I turned my head and saw the snow out the window.  Today has been very windy, with snow and wind, then sun and calm, then hail and wind and then more wind and sun.  Enough snow to cause blizzard conditions for a time at the game, and while the whole football field was completely white with snow for much of the second quarter we had no accumulations here at the house.  The sticks blown from the trees are certainly accumulating, though.  In the twenty second video below, the car alarm in the background seemed strangely appropriate at the time.



I know I've not really written much of anything for some time, but that's just how it goes.  I've been doing overtime at work that has me tired often at home and, well, not a lot has been happening worth writing about.  Winter is definitely on its way, so there are chores to be done to get prepared.  Perhaps I can get a few things done this weekend and I should get some pictures over at the garden blog.  Otherwise, I hope all are well.  Cats are still cute, the lakes are still flooded, and I'm still tired.  Normal posting shall resume eventually.

2 comments:

delcatto said...

Wow, snow already! Is it usually this early or is this about normal for snow?
The local press has predicted a hard and early winter although I will wait and see. I am kind of torn as I like snow but it will make for difficult travelling and working conditions.

Scoakat said...

Well, it was nothing that stuck around but I still count it as the first snow, and I don't think early enough to be unusual. I thought of looking back when I wrote this, let me look now:

18 Nov 2017, 4 Dec 2016, 20 Nov 2015, 2014 not noted, 23 Oct 2013, 9 Dec 2012, 9 Nov 2011, 4 Dec 2010, 10 Oct 2009.

So definitely on the early side. What's more important is when we get the first snowstorm that sticks - hopefully later than sooner!