Sunday, October 28, 2018

Burning Bush, Apples, Cats and Fire

20181027_112848It has been cold, damp and dreary lately but we did manage to get the yard and garden cleaned up for winter yesterday.  A few notes and a full pictorial is over at the garden blog.  Stop over and have a look, it's probably the last big post for the year over there.  As we were finishing up it started to sprinkle, so I think we lucked out.  Otherwise, I don't have anything grand to say today, just wanted to post a few recent pictures and note a few things.


20181027_171416
20181027_203421The burning bush is at its red-leaf peak before they join the growing number of leaves blowing about the ground.  The walnut trees next door are finished and I have those leaves mulched into the lawn, the rest will be gathered soon to be mulched for the flowerbeds.  Since we had the tree removed we get more leaves in front even though that yard is maybe one third the size - it has all the big trees that line the street out front.  Once the leaves are done then all that should be left to do outside before the snow comes is the gutters.

Kate brought home a lot of apples recently after a trip to an orchard.  Yesterday the house smelled lovely all day as she made apple butter.  Even though it was a double batch there are still lots of apples left.  I think we'll be having apple pie soon with lots left for the freezer.

20181027_102823

I haven't really posted much on the cats in quite some time, but no news is good news as they are happy and healthy.  Some time ago there was another neighborhood cat that used to come around and see our cats inside the back door and through the windows.  Basil now 'patrols' the perimeter at times, going from window to window, looking for that cat.  I don't think he's upset or anything, but he is very curious.  Hamish doesn't seem to mind, knowing his brother is on the case.

I spent some time by the fire on Friday evening.  The cool weather and break in the dampness made it a pleasure once again to sit by the fire and figure out all the world's problems - or stare blankly into the flames and relax.  Same difference.

20181026_180656

5 comments:

delcatto said...

That fire pit does look cosy and a place to while away a cool autumnal evening. Perhaps some apple pie or a drop of home made cider!
I had never heard of Burning Bush so I just googled it. Beautiful colour and it makes a real splash amongst the greenery.

Scoakat said...

The burning bush is green all summer, it is only for a brief time in the fall it gets so red. And I'm sure my wife will make plenty of apple pie filling. We could make apple pie pudgie pies in the fire!

Blue Witch said...

Love the colours of the burning bush. We've had a really bad year for apples, so am jealous of your apple butter!

delcatto said...

My neighbour had some tasty apples and gages but the apples in the shops seem to lack flavour. I buy Cox's mainly and the choice of apples isn't so good either. Apple butter...mmmm...

Scoakat said...

There's lots of orchards in the region and my wife and her dad make day trip annually. I'm not sure what kinds she got, but I know one kind for eating and one kind for cooking. She's peeling as I type as she volunteered apple cake for work tomorrow!