Friday, June 29, 2018

Over 2 Days Offline - I'm Back!

20180629_172809I'm back!  Boy, I hate to say it, but I depend on the internet more than ever.  Wednesday I was off work for a medical procedure (befitting my latest age milestone), and that afternoon I had internet one minute and not the next.  After calling the ISP, they could see we could send and receive but there was no internet there for us.  Tonight a couple technicians came out, and after replacing some cables, connections and splitters, and also doing the same on the pole outside (seen here), we have internet back.  They don't even know what fixed it, but it's working again and I'm happy.

When I was young I used to know the television schedule for all 3 channels and what I liked every night of the week.  These days I read and watch what I choose on the internet and mostly use the television for news in the mornings, sports events, and just for background noise.  Plus, we have the living room lights, Petcube and Alexa gadgets that we use - all dependent on the internet and wifi.  We've had our phones, but it isn't nearly the same and uses up data, so it's good to be back in the 21st century!

Another thing to note, my wood rack arrived today.  I bought an 8' by 4' rack to hold a face cord of split firewood.  I have to put it together and plan on placing it between the lilac area and the tree stump area along the fence line by neighbor Dave.  Once complete, I will order a face cord of mixed hardwoods from a place I found for 150 bucks, delivered.  I still plan on scavenging wood to burn, and have already done so, but buying some firewood will make that urgency much less and we can have a fire, big or small, whenever we like without worrying about running out of wood or overpaying for small bundles at convenience stores.  This will just make for more relaxed and better fire pits, and that is just as it should be.  But not tonight, after the hottest day of the year so far!

2 comments:

delcatto said...

It's funny how attached we really are to the internet. We survived ten days without mobile phones following the mobile phone sim card fiasco and I quite enjoyed not having a mobile. But the internet is a very different matter. Music, movies, news and general nonsense and I enjoy it. More so since I reduced my twitter and fb use. Having said that when I stay at my Mum's house where she doesn't have the internet I have my old stand by in books or kindle. Mind you, I read a lot anyway and i am gradually ploughing through my real book collection.

Scoakat said...

My first thought reading this back is, first world problem you idiot.
A couple weeks ago I met a friend at the pub down the street, I was early and forgot my phone. It made me uncomfortable how uncomfortable I was without it.
I still read books, but I spend less time with them.