Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Storm Door and Duck Tales

20180429_104040b
The old  front door, before picture. And Bill.
I have a few things to write about/document here, and I did see the neurosurgeon again today, but that's for later.  Let's start with last weekend, Sunday, a buddy from local establishment Brothers Three came over to help me install a new storm door on the front of our house.  The old one was starting to sag and rot, and also was brown instead of black like all the rest of the house trim and accents, so it was time to be replaced.  It's that time of year, so I bought the door on sale over a week ago, and we installed it on Sunday.

20180429_104127Bill said he would be over at noon, so I thought I would get what I could done so it would go faster and easier.  I had reviewed Youtube videos on the installation, and it didn't seem very difficult, but I needed a good back to help and Bill is a retired carpenter.  I unpacked the box, setup my workbench from our bins like I do for a lot of projects, and got a few little things out of the way.  By this time it was not even quarter to eleven so I was just a few minutes away from running a couple errands when Bill showed up.  He thought it was quarter to twelve, so he was an hour early and lucky I hadn't left yet, but I was happy to see him and we started in on the door right away.

20180501_160454b
The new door matches the house better now.  Basil's on his tree in the window.
Overall, the installation went very smoothly.  The hard part was letting Bill do the work.  I was right there, fully knowing what to do and able-bodied - except for my back.  I had to stand back, or rather hover, while he, as an experienced carpenter, took the lead.  One of the things I got to do was drill the holes in the door for the handle, and that was the only hitch in the whole project.  I drilled them wrong and had to re-drill them.  Not a huge problem, but there was most of one three quarter inch hole showing on the outside and just a small hole showing on the inside.  Thankfully, they make plugs for this type of thing, so I picked up a few options at local hardware stores, opted for one, sanded it a bit and painted it black, then plugged the hole.  And it doesn't look terrible but I may upgrade it in the future.  Like I said to my wife Kate - it's like every project I do, there's always a fuck-up somewhere, but it's never critical and it turns out okay anyway.  So that's that.  And now that you can see it better, we should probably paint the front door next.  Perhaps an accent color - anyone have any suggestions for a door color?


Moving on, mother duck doesn't seem too disturbed with us going about what we need to do back there, but she keeps an eye on us.  She has incorporated the hay into the nest that Kate left nearby the other day, and we can watch from our bedroom window, and she sees us there, too.  Also, we don't know what happened, but there was a broken egg yesterday morning, but that has been cleaned up and mother duck is back on the nest.  When I left for work I saw two males in our front yard, when Kate left she saw those and saw mother duck across the driveway 'cleaning up' the broken egg.  Not sure what happened, nature is nature.  When we see she's not ever leaving the nest we'll know she's started incubating the eggs she has.  Seeing ducklings hatch under our steps would be interesting, indeed!

20180501_152642

Also, with the cardboard box from the door I cut a circle that has about a 19 inch radius.  This will be the template for cutting the sod in the back yard for the fire pit.  I'll throw in a picture after the break with some other bonus mother duck pics.

20180501_144605


20180501_144615


20180501_144629


20180501_144026
Placement not quite set, yet.  But this is pretty close.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

I love the duck! I hope that predators don't get her while she is sitting.

Blue for the door? ;) No, I think it's best how it is... or maybe grey, to be a mid-point between the white and the black?

Storm doors are a great idea, that we don't have over here. The second door on an otherwise flat doorway must stop lots of draughts.

Scoakat said...

The last two mornings I saw broken eggs again, BW. She came back yesterday, but we haven't seen her yet today though there seems to be at least one egg still in the nest. We'll just have to see what happens, but don't get your hopes up, unfortunately.

Still thinking about the door color, we're in no rush but welcome all ideas!

I've seen and lived in both, houses with and without storm doors. What will be so nice about it is the light and air on the nicer days. There's a screen in the top part of the door that rolls out when we bring the top window down. Pretty nifty!

Mom said...

Red or burgundy for the door!! Make a statement!

Scoakat said...

Nothing is off the table at this point!