Sunday, May 6, 2018

Back and Fire Pit Update

I've had a couple people remind me that I haven't posted an update on my back situation.  First off, I'm glad people care, thank you.  Recently I've seen some improvement, there are times I feel that I'm just fine and other times I'd take the surgery then and there, but most times I'm in between the two but it can change any minute.  And I always seem to feel mostly fine when I'm talking to a doctor, why is that?

I met with the neurosurgeon's Physician Assistant on Tuesday.  I let her know everything I'm experiencing, but in greater detail than I've written here.  She ran me through a few tests, and went to discuss with the surgeon, and then they both came in to talk to me.  He said with my symptoms and MRI I am a candidate for surgery, but since I feel like I'm borderline he laid out my choices for me.  Surgery, try the shot again, physical therapy, or just live with it.  Sitting there with both of them looking at me I had to make a decision, and to me it was either surgery or trying the shot again.  I chose the latter.

While the last shot seemed to wear off after two and a half days, I have seen improvement.  Enough so that I'm willing to try it again before resorting to yet another surgery.  I have to wait at least six weeks after the last one, so if all goes well I'll probably have it done the first week of June, after the holiday.  So, that's where it stands.  I'm doing much better than I was before but still not quite better yet.  Hopefully soon, though.
DSC00197


This is also delaying the fire pit build.  I was hoping to do it this weekend, but I've been hurting some so maybe next weekend.  I put a little mock-up together for friends that came by last night.  It will be one row higher than here when I build it, but this gives you a good idea of what it will look like.  I also posted a yard tour yesterday over at the garden blog - the plants are coming up fast!

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Do you still have the option to have surgery in the longer term, if things don't improve, or was it a one-time choice?

I like the bricks for the firepit. Hope the build goes well.

Scoakat said...

That option is still on the table if things don't improve, but I'm hoping with the progress I've seen another shot will get me closer to normal - well, MY normal. At least for a few years, anyway.

delcatto said...

Fingers crossed for your build once your back is more settled. We've been surrounded by barbecues over the past week but a fire pit would be marvellous. I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

Scoakat said...

Hi Declan! The back has been feeling pretty okay lately, thank you. The weather has been holding me back most recently, but all the rain has the trees finally bursting with green. I'm hoping to start the fire pit after work tomorrow as the weekend looks wet again.