Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Today we made a day trip about 100 miles or more west southwest into an area of the state that borders up with Iowa on the Mississippi River, with Illinois just south, the tri-state area of Dubuque, Iowa.
This picture faces west, Iowa is across the mighty river.

20171123_102054(0)We were on our way to see my Mom and Dan, and my sister's family.  It was a nice day with a nice Thanksgiving feast, card games, football and good company.  The kids are getting bigger (James may be taller than me next time I see him!), and my sister and niece are also doing well.  Mom and Dan are looking forward to another winter in Alabama and sound like they are keeping happy and busy.
We had a very good time with all.  This picture is the view from the bridge, upriver.

20171123_102102

Whenever we make this trip I always want to take pictures, especially when we cross the Mississippi River area into Dubuque.  This trip I made my wife get her camera ready so she could take pictures for me.  Yes, my wife Kate took all these pictures - at highway speed, mind you.  I briefly said kinda what I was looking for and to just take a lot of them.  Several turned out very good, the best are here.
This one is coming off the bridge back to Wisconsin.

20171123_162747

There's other scenes along the trip I wouldn't mind getting, too.  Like the big M on the mound in Platteville, seen for miles around.  And other random things, like the big cutouts through the rocky hills for the roads, some had icicles from the spring water that seeps out, and other scenic roadscapes.
This is a brilliant sunset picture over the Mississippi River for 60 miles an hour over a bridge.

20171123_162757

I must say - though I've said it before - I've started to really like taking pictures, and this blog this year has shown that.  I don't plan on investing in any special equipment or anything, I just enjoy getting a good picture, and now I'm seeing, or looking for, those opportunities more often.

5 comments:

delcatto said...

Excellent pictures and it's great to see images of places I know only in my imagination or from TV programmes (American Pickers is great for this). Mind you, I'm looking at the google map view which I find fascinating. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Scoakat said...

Thanks! The Mississippi IS a mighty river.

Blue Witch said...

I always enjoy posts with pictures of parts of the world I have never (and will never) see in person.



Scoakat said...

You must be in SA by now, BW. Feel free to share pictures, yourself!

Blue Witch said...

It's still weeks away, sadly...

(when we went first, 5 years ago, it was at this time of year, you are correct; since then it has been to avoid the worst part of the year here, which isn't yet - usually!)