Saturday, August 8, 2015

Friend Then, Friend Now

20150805 005b
Although it did not work out last Saturday, my friend Gary was able to come up on Wednesday evening for a visit.  It was great to see him, it had been a long time!  Probably more than 10 years.  It was kind of last minute, yet expected.  I called him from work that morning and he stopped by shortly after I got home from work.  I introduced him to sour beer, we went up to the MaltHouse for another, came back and ordered food,  and just visited.  He's had a hell of time this past year and more - I had mentioned that he lost his lovely wife - but he seems like he is doing well.  We didn't run out of things to talk about but I did notice us get quiet once when the TV was on so we moved to the computer and played with music files.  He stayed the night so we had filled the old air mattress for him, and he left the next morning when I had to go to work.  It seemed to go by so fast, but I will see him again tonight at the class reunion before he goes back to Texas on Monday.

1993MikeScottGary
Mike, Me and Gary
Since Wednesday I've dug out some old pictures, trying to find old pictures of me and him, and I also dug out my old yearbooks to remind myself who the heck was in my class.  I went through the yearbook for a while this morning.  Wow.  Before looking I may have been able to bring about a third of the classmates to mind even if I couldn't remember the name.  Looking at the yearbook reminded me of people that I have not ever thought about in 30 years.  I guess I'll find out how many will be there tonight.  I foresee many, many re-introductions.

1993MikeScottGaryGreg
1993, Gary's Wedding.  His brother Greg on right.
In the old pictures here (and I can't believe I'm actually posting them) there is a third, our good friend Mike.  Mike is in Michigan now.  The three of us did lots together, especially the last year of high school, and kept in touch for a long time after high school.  For the most part we have always been in touch, but it has been tough the last 10 years.  They've been married, raising kids, and making a living and our paths have led in different directions a bit.  We're still in touch now, that's what matters.

1991-2or3ScottGaryMike
Very early 90's at the Black Bear Lounge.  Figured out who the ham was yet?

5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Hope you had a good (or at least 'interesting') time.

I went to one reunion of those I was at High School with, about 10 years ago now. I remembered afterwards why I hadn't stayed in touch with many!

Good to see you haven't changed much in your old(er) age :)

Scoakat said...

Hi BW! Yes it was, um, interesting. I'll be writing about it soon, after a little reflection.

And thank you, that was a many years and about 60 pounds ago!

Mom said...

Wow! So glad you and Gary were able to reconnect. Love the old pics. I remember Gary's wedding well. It was a great time. Oh, how time flies!! Love you.

Mike Firesmith said...

I wish I still had my long hair. Or any hair.

Scoakat said...

And some young people purposely shave their head now. Imagine what they might feel later!