Yesterday the decision was made to cancel this year's AtwoodFest, scheduled for today and tomorrow. Since Wednesday, Madison has been in the national news for another cop killing a bad guy with excessive force, an incident that happened here on the near east side of town. The ensuing outrage and protests have led to many event delays and cancellations over the last couple of days.
It just never stops. Why can't we all just get along and do what's right in this world?
6 comments:
Hallelujah to that. Interestingly I haven't head anything at all in our media about that.
I feel for those poor people who had put so much time and effort into organising the festival.
- BW
It was national new here almost immediately, but I was interested to know if it made it globally, thanks. Still easy to find if you look for it, though, and I was interested if you or delcatto heard of it over there. We may not be New York or Chicago, but Madison has a pretty high profile for a city of its size.
Unfortunately, many of the vendors, groups and organizations that would have benefited from this event are parts of the community that are, rightly, protesting what happened. Understandably so, of course, but still a catch-22 in many ways.
But sacrifices must be made to stand up for what is right and bring about change. Unfortunately, I see more of this coming and on a much larger scale in our country, and likely sooner than later.
No rant on this today, but it is bubbling below the surface.
I went to an advanced skills craft class on Wednesday where one of the attendees was a lovely American lady (from Minnesota) who had been visiting family in Israel with her husband, and had 'detoured' on her way home to attend the class. It was in a very rural location and she had, amazingly, managed to get there from London completely by public transport. I don't think an English person would even have attempted that!
She was, I'd guess, mid-70s but petite, sprightly, fit (she'd walked 2.5 miles along narrow country lanes with no footpaths from where the bus dropped her) and clearly very bright.
It didn't take much to get her talking about TTT (a one man version of the KKK), and she told me that she was an active member of the Alliance for Retired Americans (ARA), an organisation I hadn't heard of. She didn't say so, but from her very informed stance, I imagine she was probably one of the main organisers in that area, and, I'd guess, had had a senior role in whatever her pre-retirement work was. I was impressed by her as she was so sensible, calm and informed without being pushy with her views.
- BW
Sounds like quite the lady, I'm glad you got to meet her. I've never heard of TTT, and gaggle's no help.
The Tangerine Toddler. I was just extrapolating your recent terminology!
Are you aware of the ARA campaigning about all the sorts of issues you are raising here? I'm not sure how effective or well known they are.
- BW
Of course! LOL
I don't recall knowing much of anything of the ARA, but more power to them.
Post a Comment