Sunday, May 5, 2024

Friday's Fire and Today's Plantings

The weather was dry and the winds were low for the first time on a weekend night in some time, so Friday evening I had my first official fire of the year.  It had been a busy day and evening, so after grilling out brats for dinner and having a few drinks I was able to spend a few hours by the fire.  It was a relaxing time, including a call with my Mom, so I hung out there until about 10 p.m. before coming in for the night.  I look forward to more relaxing evenings like this coming up.

Today we went to the garden center early and got a few seeds and seedlings along with a nice hanging pot for by the front door.  That might be it for this year but for we still have to get something to put in the pot at the bottom of the steps out front.  I can post a pic of the front later when that happens, but as for the back yard the purple puffballs along the porch are now in bloom and what is left of the lilac bush is in peak form right now.  I am seeing some new growth from the old lilac that I had to cut due to the new fence, so hopefully that back side of the bush will be able to fill out well in the next few years.


For the tree stump area I had moved part of a hosta from the north corner (out of picture, left) yesterday where it was right by the fence to the south corner by the firewood where that hosta had been dug out for the yard leveling and fence installation, plus a small piece that fell off I transplanted in front of the stump.  The only other work done is adding some good dirt, wildflower seeds, then more dirt on top of the old stump and the area in front of it.  It's too rotten now to put potted plants on it so we'll try to grow plants in it, but, we'll see what the critters have to say about that, too.

In the gardens we have much more planted today, but it's always an adventure with all the critters so we'll have see what happens as the summer goes on.  Starting at the top left we have garlic, planted last fall, and today Kate planted a row of radishes in front with chives on either side.  Top right is four jalapeno plants, caged, with leaf lettuce on the left and dill and cilantro on the right.  Bottom right is the raspberries, while bottom left now has sage and basil, caged, among the few remaining strawberry plants.

Soon it will be time to plant sunflower seeds.  I'm thinking of fencing in the corner with the day lilies where I grew the one last year and trying to grow several in that area this year.  I may try to plant some in other areas, too, but they will have to be protected, probably caged, for quite some time until they get big enough.  All we can do is try, and as long as we look at whatever we get as a bonus then we'll come out ahead.

I've still not mowed, though I did use the strimmer in many areas again today, but probably within the week I'll have to give in and begin the ritual.  We've also begun spraying, pulling and digging out all the weeds, another summer ritual.

Our temperatures for the foreseeable forecast appear to be right around where windows open will be questionable, day to day.  We have the heat turned off right now so conserving house warmth will be the priority.  Still, this is a good time of year and things are looking good.  Cheers, everyone.

4 comments:

delcatto said...

Looking very good and nicely planned out. A first fire kit as well, hopefully the first of many this year for you both.

I'm with you regarding planting fewer plants this year and focusing on just those as opposed to too many and losing them. Luckily we don't have too many critters as the cats take care of those. It is mainly the slugs and snails that cause problems but I now have the time to go around and remove them.

Scoakat said...

Thank you. I was surprised, myself, with the growth when comparing to the last post just a week before.

Blue Witch said...

It's gone mad growth wise over here too. And it's mid-20s here today. From winter to summer in a week!

That lilac looks lovely. I haven't got one now, so must look out forone.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. We've still only had the two days with temps warm enough to open all the windows, but Sunday looks to be the third. For us it would have to be at least 72º (22ºC) for a high temp or we'd keep them shut to preserve the warmth in the house as the nights can still be down in the 40's (5-10ºC).