Monday, June 6, 2022

Two Mow May

No Mow May was a two mow May for me, plus some thatching and seeding and pulling weeds.  Many in this area subscribed to the aforementioned idea gladly, I think, whereas I guess I like it tidy.  I did notice most of the lawns that were left to grow were a high percentage of non-grass, and I'm sure dandelions and other flowering weeds are better for the pollinators than grass that's gone to seed.

I had the thought of taking a walk and collecting pictures of those tall lawns but, like Halloween, I decided not to photograph others' properties.  This was a few days into June so some had been cut already, anyway.  We did happen across this neighbor who appeared to be struggling to get the mower through the tall grass and weeds and I just couldn't resist trying to get a stealthy shot.  I know they succeeded eventually, but it really looks hacked up.

Did you let your lawn grow all May? 

3 comments:

Nic said...

I didn't know No-mow May was a thing outside the UK...maybe you even had it first?
Of our ten acres about 1 acre is house and garden and all of our lawn areas have at least a part that is left to grow wild, some all year round and some that is cut (and cleared) late August in ye olde meadow style to encourage wild flowers.
Thus the other bits are still cut in May although only twice this year thanks to the weather as much as anything.
The wild areas are wonderful though, since we moved here we've now had orchids and Heleborines (orchid cousins) move in as well as many wild flowers I can't even name. From where I'm sitting typing this in our upstairs study I can often watch a Kestrel hunting voles in one of our wilded fields....didn't see that when it was grazed by sheep as it was in the days of the previous owners.
I don't know if they really expect people to go the whole month without mowing...if you're even vaguely lawn proud if the weather is wet and warm there will be some very tall grass to cut (as your neighbour found out!)....I wouldn't even dream of trying to cut that with a lawnmower!
But it does help the wild-life...even only cutting every second week can make a big difference.

Blue Witch said...

We just mow paths through the field/orchard (in case of ticks if it were all long grass), and I set the mower high enough to not cut the clover in the lawn so that the bees can forage on it. The lawn area is decreasing in size all the time as the borders keep extending.

Bees don't forage on grass that has seeded (grass is wind pollinated I think) - hence why honey can work as a relief for hayfever as long as it related to tree or flower pollens rather than grass pollen. The pollen grains in the honey work to desensitize your body (over time) to that particular pollen. I don't know if anything does forage on grass - it ought to as there is pollen there (but not nectar). I've never noticed.

Scoakat said...

I don't think I've heard of No Mow May before this spring, so must be a new phenomena. Yes, you both have lots of space, I'm sure I'd do similar (maybe less!) given the land area. Makes me a bit green with envy! Our lot is 4000 square feet, minus the house, garage and concrete, so much less of an impact.

I'd guess up to 20% of lawns went un-mowed during May in the surrounding area. Of those, some wouldn't have been mowed anyway while others were surely doing it for this cause. I have a pretty good and mostly weed-free lawn, and I didn't see any as good or better left to grow too much while lots of weedy lawns grew tall all month. Seemed to be related somehow, but who's to say? It was a very nice lawn when we got the house, so I've tried to maintain that over the years.