Friday, December 17, 2021

Another Big Tree Lost

Another large tree in the neighborhood is being taken down, this one two doors down in the back yard, center of the pictures.  I really do hate to see big trees go, but if it was getting dangerous then I can't blame them.  I didn't want to lose our big tree several years ago, but it was dangerous.  Workers spent two days getting it down to the trunk, and the trunk remains yet.  Then they took two days off for high winds, which probably was a relief to the owners if they had been worried about branches falling.  But no activity again today, so not sure if the trunk will remain for now.  And it just might as it is very expensive to have a tree removed.  This one had to easily cost several thousand dollars just to get it down to the trunk.

The tree just to the right of the one being taken down in the pictures, with multiple trunks, seems to be leaning over the neighbor behind them so I wonder if that will be taken down, too.  I guess we'll see if they resume work next week.  At least it's cold enough all the windows were closed, so the noise wasn't much of a bother.  More than once, though, I looked out the window and thought I saw snow but it was just wood chips from one of the two climber's chainsaws on my neighbor Dave's roof.

With those high winds of the last couple days came a brief change in weather.  We set a record high temperature on Wednesday at 68ºF (about 20ºC).  Winds were 20+ miles per hour sustained and up to 60 mph gusts, I believe.  Between neighbor Dave and I there is a pretty good stick pile out front now.  If it was warmer I would burn it all, but alas, we plunged back to about or below freezing for highs again since.  I still hold out hope for at least one more fire this year.  I may push the issue on Tuesday, for the winter solstice.

Otherwise, plans have been made for the upcoming holiday and all presents have been taken care of, just a little more wrapping to do.  My sister's kids got a big graduation gift as a send-off last year, so they might be surprised but will only get a small, token cash gift in a card to open.  We plan to do the same for my brother's kids when they graduate, but then they are adults and the gift gravy train will then leave that station, too.

I never made a conscious decision to grow a beard this year, but it happened.  Somewhere along the line I just stopped shaving.  It's a much larger percent gray than brown now, and I'm not happy with it so I think it will go very soon, before we get too deep into winter.  Same for the hair, my last haircut was in spring and the gray part is getting more and more, so I may get that cut shorter, too.  I do clean up well every few years, it seems.

Enough for now.  I want to write more later about health and lactose and other things, but all in due time.  Have a great weekend!


I have 3 buckets of kindling in the garage, so no need to save more.  If I do have a fire soon all these from the past couple windy days will be burned.  Cross your fingers for me!

9 comments:

delcatto said...

Hopefully you will get that fire in for Solstice.
Our Willow tree has now lost all of its leaves and I plan to take it down in the next week or so. I don't really want to as I like trees but I plan to plant one nearer the back wall to replace it. I will then have more light for the raised bed.

You are joining us greybeards and although Sue likes me to grow a beard, she doesn't like all the grey so I'll remains clean shaven for now except for the tache.

Blue Witch said...


Reminds me of Joni Mitchell, "Cut down all the trees, put them in a tree museum, charged the people a dollar and a half just to see them!"

Are people replanting trees to replace those being cut down? We need trees more than ever these days, and there are so many different trees that will remain smaller.

20 degrees C in mid-December is insane! I was talking a friend in Maryland yesterday and he said it had been 23 there, and there's no snow for skiing yet.

Scoakat said...

I trimmed it down to a short moustache and goatee this morning, at least for now. Still gray, but much less of it.

Sorry to hear of the willow, Delcatto. We had a big one with a tire swing when I was a kid so always think of them fondly.

Yes, there have been lots of smaller trees planted, BW. Several along the creek a few years ago, and in private yards. And the city normally returns a year or two after removing a tree on the terrace to plant another. There's a very large silver maple a few houses the other way that is so majestic, I hope we don't lose that view for a very long time.

Freezing to warm and windy to freezing again in just days (currently 30ºF). Still no accumulated snowfall, though. *Knock wood! But winter doesn't even officially start until Tuesday.

Nic said...

Several thousand to get to that stage......shan't be telling our local tree surgeons or they'll be heading your way! £500 a day for a team of three we pay, and they're good pro folk. They took down a row of large trees in two days.

Scoakat said...

You're getting a deal. Nic! But consider, two days with two climbers, a small crane and operator, plus at least two workers on the ground to catch, cut and chip what they could. It's the close quarters to buildings, access due to fences, proximity to wires, all raise the difficulty. Compared to what I paid for less for our tree back in 2015, yes, very expensive.

Scoakat said...

Found it! Check it out. Quite the memory for me.
https://scoakatsblog.blogspot.com/2015/04/rip-tree.html

Nic said...

Cool video!

Yes, the crane will push the price up a fair bit.

Nic said...

I do wonder sometimes about the need for some of the big gear when doing these jobs. Contractors love their machines but my own experience tells me they're not always time or savers. Obviously it needs to be safe but......

Scoakat said...

Here, I think the small crane was necessary since there was a fence with just a door-sized gate for access. But otherwise, I can't argue with that.

I could have hired a climber for our tree, it just came down to which bid I was comfortable with. But I was sure surprised when they got the whole truck back there.