Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Firewood, Fall Chores

Late afternoon yesterday the firewood delivery arrived.  I'd been done with work for hours and was pretty much in relaxation mode, but with my wife's help we got it all neatly stacked.  The small pile on the far left is the leftovers, the other small pile is new wood that wouldn't fit on the rack.  I don't expect either of these small piles to last very long.  Now I know I'll have enough to get through spring, or at least to spring.

Today has been overcast and blustery, with an expected high of 67ºF, and again the news is saying this will be the last 'nice' day as high temperatures will be going back down to about the 50º mark in the extended forecast.  I managed to get some yardwork done yesterday while waiting for the wood, including mowing/mulching the leaves in the back yard, but there is more to be done yet.

I contacted the fencing company yesterday to verify we're still on for replacing our fence about a month from now, and they confirmed.  The exact day may change due to the weather, but it should only take one day to complete.  I wanted to keep the old one as long as possible but it's just gotten so rotten it's starting to fall apart.  I probably should have done it last year and next year it will only be worse, so best to just get it done.  It should look pretty similar, 6' dog-eared, but brand new cedar.  At least it will be one thing crossed off the list, and it will look a lot better, too.

Is cedar the best wood for raised bed gardens?  I'm going to have to figure that out.  I'll not use treated lumber again as I may as well use regular lumber because it obviously won't last more than 9 years or so anyway, and my hope is to not have to rebuild these again, however wishful thinking that may be.

Most fall chores now are just hurry up and wait.  As the plants wilt I'll mulch them up with the string trimmer.  As the black walnut leaves fall I will mow to mulch.  After the maple tree leaves fall I'll rake and mulch them for flowerbeds.  And when all the leaves are done I'll need to clean out the gutters.   All the potted plants will need to be cleaned up and the compost turned.  And before it starts to freeze regularly (still haven't had first frost, but maybe tomorrow morning) I'll have to get the hose put away and the power washer stored in the basement, along with a couple crates of paint, lawn care and other products out of the garage.

So, while it seems like a lot of work it will be spread out for several weeks up to a couple months yet.  I hope for plenty of opportunities to relax by the fire along the way.  

Actually, I hope to be able to go out to eat, hang out at the bar, go see a show or just socialize with friends and family, but I'll take what I can get this year.  Stay safe, all.  And wash your mask.

9 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Thanks for spreading the last message!

We're having the same dilemmas about how to make raised beds that will last in this wet and cold climate. There is a recycled plastic, wood look product (sold/used for decking) that we are liking. We bought a couple of raised bed kits made from recycled plastic, and while they are really good, they are costly and we need another 20, so it's not financially viable right now.

We're ahead of you with the frost!

And I still love that wood store. You and Kate have got stacking off to a fine art too. We still have work to do on that front...

Scoakat said...

The mask thing was added shortly after I posted. I had read your post so it was on my mind. Might be something to write about, if you don't mind me borrowing? ;)

I'll be researching for the gardens, I'm sure I'll post what I find. And we can get frost anytime from mid-September to late October, just depends on the year. Not sure if it frosted this morning as I let myself sleep in a bit.

Stacking wood, and thank you, but you just have to find the best fit you can and move on to the next. The hardest part is getting that first layer nice and tight, then the weight from above holds them in place. There's not much extra log that extends over the log rack here.

Nic said...

Cool wood stack....I have half abarn full that could really do with re-stacking. Next time you're over this way..... ;)

Scoakat said...

An invitation that may be taken up, Nic - depending on the election results! Of course, we may linger for a while after the stacking's done, you do have room for us, right? ;)

I and my back are thankful for my lovely wife's help, We got it done in short order whilst she also was cooking us a wonderful dinner!

Blue Witch said...

Oi NiC, I have first dibs on Scoakat ;)

But Scoakat, I can attest to the high standard of hospitality at Planarchy Towers, Mark 1 and Mark 2, having partaken on several occasions. And the music would be good...

delcatto said...

Amen to that last paragraph. I don't really go out much but I would love to see a live band, go for a beer and a meal...go anywhere in fact where we can be normal and mingle with others. Have fun again.
Every assessment I did today was covid related anxiety.

Scoakat said...

Aw shucks, BW, I'm flattered! I'm sure Nic is a lovely host.

Delcatto, how long before those are just the 'good old days?' Or are we already there?

And what percent is COVID related anxiety overall if it filled your whole day today? That's just nuts, already stretched thin and even more by this kind of worry. What can you do but repeat what they've already heard and be reassuring?

Nic said...

Heh, plenty of room for you after you've finished stacking our wood Scoakat!

Much as we'd love to see you I really hope the election results don't go that way!

Scoakat said...

I must agree, Nic. In this case, I hope not to visit!