Thursday, August 27, 2020

Jacob Blake

Well, it just keeps happening, doesn't it?  Again, close to home in nearby Kenosha, Wisconsin, a white policeman shoots an unarmed black man.  7 times.  In the back.  If you've not heard of this or the ensuing protests in Kenosha and Madison, among other places, then you've been under a rock.

It wasn't surprising that the Milwaukee Bucks boycotted yesterday afternoon's game.  It also wasn't surprising to see other sports teams and leagues follow suit.  The players felt they had an opportunity to draw attention to this systemic racism and took it.  I don't blame them.  In fact, I wore a Bucks shirt today to show support in my own small way.

We need discussion, education, and change.  But how can you change the darkness in some people's hearts?  They can say all the right things, and even act like they mean it, but when push comes to shove another white cop shoots or kills another black man.  How many will it take? 

Godspeed, Jacob Blake.

7 comments:

Blue Witch said...

So, is Joe Biden going to get in?

Should a 77 year old be running the US?

I heard a programme on the radio about his life to date the other day. Much sadness, but also, I supsect, much more realism than the current incumbent.

Scoakat said...

Is Biden going to get in? I'd like to think so, but we elected Hillary last time and even with the majority vote she lost. I won't be able to say with certainty one way or the other until it is finished.

Should a 77 yo be running? My instinct would be to say no, but I might feel different if I was a fit 77 years old.

The current incumbent wants to delay the election but can't, put a crony in charge of the postal service to effectively dismantle it to disrupt mail-in ballots, and numerous other things any normal person would be ashamed of. He wants to be a king or a dictator, not president. I think he should be drawn and quartered, the sooner the better. Now that I think of it, it's kind of amazing there hasn't been an assassination attempt. Maybe some Russian tea, but no, they love him.

Blue Witch said...

Ah, so that's why the postal system isn't working! I've read about people being frustrated by postal delays, but didn't know why.

delcatto said...

It beggars belief really.
Yes, they needed to arrest him but seven shots in the back... I honestly don't know what the answer is but I am glad our cops aren't routinely armed. Even the bad guys deserve justice but properly served, not shooting in the back.

Scoakat said...

I don't think anyone has an answer, but at least more seem open to ideas and discussion. That's a start.

And yes, I think I said before that at what point does the force used outweigh the offense? I think that happened here.

Nic said...

Scary times. I wish all well over there across the pond and hope you get the change you (and we all) need come November.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Nic.