Saturday, May 23, 2020

Warning - Signs!

As I was beginning my summer-long ritual of cutting grass today I saw some new additions down the street by Starkweather Creek.  Actually, my third time mowing today but the first two times were only partial mows as grass in some areas grew faster than others this spring, so my first time mowing the whole lawn this year.  Anyway, the new signs were notable because we had just walked past the area yesterday and hadn't noticed anything different then.  Yes, we started going on short daily walks together this last week.  Both for exercise and to get out of the house more.  Now, how many more subjects can I add to one paragraph?

The sign warning of PFAS in the creek had been swapped out for a more durable metal sign, and a sign was added to encourage social distancing on the bike path.  I've heard that hardly anyone wore masks while on the bike path, but that was a few weeks ago so I hope that's changed.  Staying six feet away could be an issue on the narrower parts of the paths but usually there's room to step to one side.  Oh well, Wisconsin got a grade F on following the CDC recommendations of social distancing, mask wearing and gatherings for a reason.  Even though we Americans apparently are allowed to get 20 cm closer to each other than most of the rest of the world.

I almost didn't notice it, but off to the left of the slide area is what looks like a camera, facing south along the creek.  It didn't look like it was hooked up yet as it had a wire coiled around it and tape over the front, but still it made me wonder why?  Is it a trail cam to capture canoeists, to monitor activity on the creek, or to see if anyone is using the canoe/kayak slide the city installed last year?  Maybe I'll find an article in the paper on it soon.  Once it seems to be in use I may have to find my Halloween mask and get up to some hijinx down by the creek.

After the break are some closer pics if you're interested in reading the signs.  And I had a fire last night and I always seem to take pictures so I'll throw some of them in there, too.












4 comments:

BB said...

It’s a water level logger: https://www.cityofmadison.com/engineering/projects/starkweather-creek-watershed-study
Miss seeing you guys - looking forward to joining you for a fire soon!

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Bridget! Almost two years after the flood things are starting to happen. I also heard they were going to finally dredge the Yahara river on the south side of Lake Monona so it drains easier and quicker after a large rainfall, 3000 truckloads I heard on the news.

Scoakat said...

Oh, and of course we miss seeing you guys, too. We'd love to have people over, but you know...

Blue Witch said...

"Once it seems to be in use I may have to find my Halloween mask and get up to some hijinx down by the creek."

I am an anarchist.

As the Sex Pistols said.

Go for it, a man after my own heart!