Saturday, December 14, 2019

Canoe Slide, Fall Fire, More

Here I go again, letting weeks pass with nary a word typed.  Yes, we've been a bit busy, and there are things happening that I'm not sure how to write about yet or even if I'm ready to write about yet.  But I do have some things to say today and the rest may wait for a while.

I was out for a walk the other day and I saw some new signs down by the Starkweather Creek canoe slide.  A warning about possible PFAS in the water - in 3 languages - and a small sign with instructions on how to use the canoe slide.  I still haven't seen the slide used, and I'm sure I won't until spring rolls around.  You can see the creek is iced over already.  We've not had a lot of snow since late October and early November, but we have had the cold temperatures with highs ranging from a bit above to a bit below the freezing mark, more below recently.  I'll put closeups of the signs after the break.

The last two Friday evenings it has been dry with temperatures right around freezing - good fire pit weather!  I had to start the fires about 4 in the afternoon as the sun goes down before half past these days.  And I noticed that rather than sitting I tend to stand around the fire when it's cold.  Closer to the rising heat, I guess.  Each fire may be the last for quite some time so I've been taking advantage.  One snowstorm and it will be months before it happens again.



We have a funeral to attend very soon.  My mom's husband passed away this week from cancer.  Quicker than expected, but probably for the best.  We're well, thank you, and my mom is holding up very good, but things will be very different for her.  Oh well, maybe more on this later.





3 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Sorry to hear about your mom's husband. Mr BW's mum's 'partner' (fortunately they didn't get married and didn't live together) died a couple of weeks ago (Alzheimers ++++) so funeral coming up for us too.

Once you get to 'a certain age' it seems that rarely a week goes by without some bad news of this sort, from somewhere in your close networks.

Glad you're still enjoying the firepit. That was a great project, in terms of time + $$$ < ongoing enjoyment.

It's cold here too, much colder than normal for this time of year. But no ice in rivers. Or PFAS (hadn't heard of that before) - where did that come from? Industrial pollution? With that, I doubt you'll see anyone in the water at all!

delcatto said...

Sorry to hear about your mum's husband. As BW said we get to a certain age and bad news seems to crop up up every other week.

PFAS is a new one to me too and I looked it up...not encouraging news where health and environment is concerned.

The firepit going strong and good to see a good stock of wood ready for it.

Scoakat said...

BW, thank you, and sorry to hear about his mum's partner. And thank you, Delcatto. I guess I'm getting to that 'certain age,' as I've not had much of this yet, luckily. We just got back home this afternoon, I didn't want to specify on the internet the days we were going to be out of town before. It was somber, but good for everyone there. I saw relatives I've not seen in years. Pretty spent after all the emotion, socializing and driving. I'll write more later.