Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Sick This-And-Thats

There's not been a lot to write about so far this new year, but I've had some unexpected time off work again so why not start complaining typing and see what happens.

I've gone through hundreds of these.  Ick.
  • Last winter I didn't get sick at all.  In fact, I don't think I've been sick in two years - until this winter.  I was sick with a stomach virus (I since learned that stomach flu is not an influenza, but a different virus) a week or two before Christmas and now I have something upper respiratory.  I was miserable Friday, but had no idea I was getting sick.  Waking up Saturday there was no question and I have been absolutely miserable ever since.  It seems to be centered in my right sinus, though both are plugged often.  Breathing has been a struggle.
  • Cold medicine does not work.  I've tried many different kinds over the years to no avail.  Some may work a tiny bit, and I can remember at times thinking that I should remember this particular one - but I never do.  And there's only so many different kinds, anyway.  Still, I take them and hope for the best, but usually you just have to suck it up and let it run its course.  What do you use for a snotty cold?  Does it really work?  Really?
  • Of course, being sick means I have missed more work.  It's been busy so I would rather not miss time but I also wouldn't want to sit next to me, either.  Best to stay home until I can keep all my bodily fluids in check, though I don't want to lose ground at work, either.  There's been talk of me moving up already, not quite six months into my new position.  While I do want that, I wouldn't mind some more time at the level I'm at now.  We'll just have to see what happens in the coming weeks and months.
  • Wow!  I just started typing with my hands in the wrong place and discovered emojis.  Windows key + period = 😎🎶👌👣🦇🥓 and tons more.  Playing with it for a minute shows me that it's a windows thing, not just in blogger.  Not that I'm a big emoji guy, but how come I never knew about this before?  Did you?
  • Now I forgot what I was going to say, so let's go with weather.  We've been relatively warm for January here, with no snowfall.  A week or so ago it rained and melted most all we had, so it is very gray and brown outside these days, not pretty.  On the upside, no shoveling, snowblowing or salting has been needed.  In fact, if the weather stays similar, the ground stays firm and once I feel a bit better then it may be time for a winter fire pit!
Okay, that's enough typing.  Actually, I don't feel well and want to wrap this up.  If you were paying attention, I asked a couple questions above.  Leave me a comment below, I've got plenty of time to read them as I'm just sitting home sick - if you haven't heard.  😩🤧

10 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Cough/cold cures: 1 tbs local honey, juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon, top up with boiling water, stir well, drink. Add a tsp of apple cider vinegar and a crushed clove of garlic, and/or a tsp of grated fresh ginger if you are brave. Works for us!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, BW, I am finally on the mend as I got back to work today (though I am exhausted!). Still haven't quite gotten over it or have my voice back yet, though. This sounds like a good remedy/recipe. Does it help you get well faster or just soothe the symptoms? No bother, as my wife says - I should cook more rather than eat the easy meal!

delcatto said...

Ugh, it's horrible having leurgies. I use Olbas oil to try and keep my airways open; hot (not boiling) water added to a bowl with some menthol crystals added also provides temporary relief but use cautiously as a deep breath could be quite a shock to the system.
BW's cure is an excellent one and I have made a note of adding apple cider vinegar as I didn't know that bit.
Wrap up and take care.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, Delcatto. I don't know what Olbas oil is or that they sold menthol crystals, but sounds like a powerful smell for the sinuses! I am feeling much better but I thank you both, I have some things to look for at the drug store for next time the wife or I come down with something.

(My problem is I want the quick fix - go ahead and say it, lazy American!)

delcatto said...

No, everybody wants a quick fix when it comes to colds and flu. I bought some Spanish organic apple cider vinegar for the cupboard for when it is needed.I have garlic and I'll ask a colleague at work if she has any local honey for sale. Her husband used to make beehives for a living and they still keep bees. Lemons and fresh garlic are easy enough to buy in. Winter isn't over yet and three people are off sick from work with some horrible bug.

Scoakat said...

I realized after that most could be found in the cupboard or local grocery store, and local honey isn't hard to find here. I looked up Olbas oil and that sounds helpful on its own. Menthol crystals don't really appeal to me as a former menthol cigarette smoker for a very long time and I have not looked them up, lol.

I've never really tried home recipes like this, I try the different drugstore cold medicines over and over, with little relief. I'll have to try BW's cure if my wife gets sick so she'll make it for me when I'm sick!

We got 5" of snow last night, and it makes it seem to me as winter is just beginning. I've yet to get out the bigger winter coat, even with temps into the single digits(F) as the cold hasn't seemed to bother me much yet. Odd for me, and possibly why I've gotten sick in the first place.

Scoakat said...

Did anyone know about the emoji thing?

Blue Witch said...

If you take the lemon and honey with a couple of paracetemol, every 3 or 4 hours, it's just as good (if not better) than all the OTT remedies. And more natural so better for you.

I use eucalyptus essential oil just as Delcatto uses Olbas oil. That's the base ingredient of Olbas, and it works brilliantly. When I have to be where people who have germs are present, I even put eucalyptus oil on my sleeve and on any scarf I wear and have a quick breath in when they are coughing/sneezing. You can also sprinkle it on your pillow and it will keep your airways open at night if you have the leurgy (or have been with people who have). To be honest, we don't use ANY OTT medicines except ibuprofen and paracetemol: everything else is natural (as above) and they are really good. Saves a fortune too.

Many older people we know drink a glass of warm water with a splash of organic cider vinegar and a large tsp of honey first thing every morning. Those with arthritis swear by it.

I use camomile essential oil rubbed on for aches and pains too.

Delcatoo - did your colleague's husband work for Thorne's? (big bee equipment manufacturer, based in Lincolnshire).

Emoji thing - no. But other than :) and ;) I don't use them.

Blue Witch said...

OTT should be OTC (over the counter), sorry, but good Freudian slip methinks.

Scoakat said...

I appreciate the information, BW. I'll be sure to try it next time I or my wife gets sick - hopefully not for quite a while. And it's all here, so I know right where to look!