Thursday, September 6, 2018

The 2018 Flood V - Rain Accumulation

The rain has continued this past week, as we watched nervously.  Water levels had been going down a bit until yesterday when we got more rain all day.  Nothing as drastic as what got us in this mess but yesterday was a very wet day, indeed, and on ground that is already water logged.  The good news is that the next several days look dry so hopefully we can get those water levels down a bit more.  I'd like to go down and get a picture of the creek right now but I just mowed the lawn so I already have enough mosquito bites to last me for a while...

Rainfall Capture

Not a lot happening to speak of, otherwise.  We do plan on having people over for a fire pit on Saturday night and I have time off coming up.  Maybe I'll find something else to write about then!

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

So, from your graph (if I'm reading it correctly, which I might not be) 3.25" cumulatively of rain has caused all that flooding? Is that really correct?

Scoakat said...

No, it's just the rain since my last post. Insult added to injury, so to speak. The original storm dropped 10 to 15 inches on August 20th.

Scoakat said...

That was a quick reply from my phone while at work.

BW, please note the dates at the bottom. We've had other spells of rain since the original storm, I just grabbed this screenshot from the site I linked to in my last post since this latest spell of rain, just since my last post, had been accumulating. Lake levels have been from just high to a foot above high. Records have been shattered.

Seems odd to me how little it is affecting our day to day life, however. Unless you are directly affected, it is easy to not know what is happening in your own town. That makes me uneasy, somehow.

Another thought. The skeeters have been bad this year, but seems even moreso lately. Perhaps the water is boosting their population.

Blue Witch said...

Ah, yes, that makes sense now, I'd lost the sense of time on this!

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant rather than moving water I think. But perhaps there are pockets of still water where the flood waters have receded, or perhaps people have water tanks that have filled with all the rain that wouldn't normally be filled at this time of year?

But, it's very interesting to see this from afar, via your blog, because this sort of thing would never hit our news.