Sunday, December 13, 2015

December This-And-Thats

I never really feel like doing one of these posts other than feeling that I should do one of these posts.  That's not really a bad thing because I'm never disappointed with the result.  There's a reason I say that it's time to start typing and see what comes out, that's just what I do on these This-And-Thats posts!
  • I've been sick and it sucks.  I woke up last Wednesday with that feeling that I may be coming down with something, and by 10 that morning there was no doubt.  I went to work on Thursday and somehow made it all day, but had to call in sick on Friday.  Today, I'm feeling a bit better than the last couple days, but if today was Monday I would have called in again.  I think I should be able to go tomorrow but I don't know how my voice will hold up.  Enough of my whining, on to the next.
  • The weather this December has been very, very mild.  We had one or two snows, but much more rain with temperatures above freezing but for some stretches overnight.  As I write this it is about 60º outside!  I'll take it, but it may be hard on the plants.  Speaking of--
  • The mild weather allowed a December post over at the Garden Blog.  It's just a picture of the garden as it is now.  Probably confused by the weather.
  • It is past time to start looking for gifts for the nieces and nephews.  I try very hard to get things they will really like.  This year I may scale it back a little, though.  We will not be traveling after the fiasco at my Dad's last month.  I've never liked traveling for holiday gatherings much and now I think I'm old enough to not have to do it anymore.  Catholic guilt (from my upbringing - not my beliefs now) has made me do it enough.  Now, I've had enough.
  • The new refrigerator has been absolutely wonderful!  I no longer have to make ice every other day by hand, and Kate has noticed how very much longer fruits and vegetables stay good.  That old fridge may have been older than we originally thought.  Now, with the new fridge upstairs and the new chest freezer downstairs we have enough food storage as we should ever need.
  • I wrote a while back about our frustrations with our bank.  Since then there has been another issue, and now my wife has been without a debit card for maybe a month because of it.  Seems they still had her address as where we lived about 15 years ago, too.  So, after I've been with this bank for, let's see, about 28 years or so we are in the process of transitioning to a new bank.  Of course the old bank doesn't make it as easy as simply being able to transfer the money, but we shall have the movement of our funds wrapped up soon enough.
That's enough for now.  Coming soon I want to write about commenting.  I'd like it if more readers commented, but many of you subscribe by email so may not know how.  Basically you have to go to the actual post on the website and click on comments.  And no, you do not need to register, comment as a guest then you can type in your name and comment.  That's the quick version, but I want to spell it out for website and mobile for everyone yet.  My traffic to comment ratio sucks, people.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Interesting that you're noticing raised temperatures over there too.

In the UK banks now have to complete inter-bank transfer process in just 7 days, when a customer requests it. It sure makes them up their game! But, it is still said that most people change life partner more often than they change bank.

Comments, yes - FaceAche has mostly killed those. Sad.

Hope you are fully recovered now.

Scoakat said...

Hi BW! The bank wants signatures for this and fees for that. Oh, the fees! It will be easier to withdraw money then drive down the street to deposit it at the new bank. I think I like your system better.

I have a post already written on commenting that I'll put up later today. I don't know if it will help or not, I'm just trying to encourage it.

I went to the doctor yesterday, I have a bad case of bronchitis. Only time and rest will help, but if it worsens he wants me to come back in for a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. Yesterday morning that's what my money was on, thankfully he said it is not quite that bad. Back to work tomorrow (with restrictions), ready or not!

Blue Witch said...

I know your rules on sick leave are much stricter than ours... but do take care. Pneumonia can kill you. I don't need any fewer commentators than I have now ;)

Scoakat said...

Thank you, Blue Witch, the cough will linger for a while but I should be over the worst of it now. I made it to work today, a day late, but I was there - physically not mentally.