Thursday, December 21, 2023

Solstice Firepit

 Happy Winter Solstice, 2023.  Finally the days will begin to get longer, though winter has barely begun for us.  We've had a taste of snow and really cold, but mostly have been a bit warmer than normal (above freezing) and that is expected through the holidays.  There is plenty of rain in the forecast that would otherwise be snow, too.

I've not had that many fires this year, but I do like to have a fire on the winter solstice when I can.  This year, today was fully cloudy and damp but a few degrees above freezing so I made myself get out there for likely the last time until Spring.  We're in for a mild winter, they say, but we'll see.

Happy Solstice, everyone.

4 comments:

delcatto said...

Happy Winter Solstice!
Yes the days start to lengthen and light eventually returns.

Lovely to see the fire-it going again.

Blue Witch said...

I think you probably got the solstice on 21st where you are - it was on 22nd for us! It's mild here too. Bee-flying mild, which is a huge worry as they will be eating up their stores far too quickly.

Scoakat said...

Thanks, delcatto. Yes, the fire pit has been somewhat neglected this year.

Our solstice was at 9:27 pm on the 21st and yours was at the exact same moment, BW, but you are 6 hours ahead so 3:27 a.m. your time. So yes, same exact time but on different days for us!

I built the fire up real good and then let it burn down, so was back inside shortly before posting this. Sunset was around 4:26 pm for us so I was not out there late enough for the official solstice, but I still count it.

delcatto said...

Merry Christmas Scott to you and yours!