Monday, September 12, 2022

Vacation, Rain, Birthday, and More Rain

I got a start on my vacation list after work on Thursday, getting the back steps fully power-washed and some of the driveway.  I was going to finish the power washing after work on Friday but the end of the garden hose popped off, so I took that as a sign that I was meant to relax that evening.  In the morning I took a trip to the big box DIY store, fixed the hose and completed the power washing.  The steps needed a thorough wash this year and once the wood has dried this week I'll apply a water seal.  I've never really power washed the driveway before, but the low parts down by and around the garage were looking pretty filthy with just dirt from rain and standing water over the years, but looks a lot better now.

That was done on Saturday morning.  On Saturday afternoon the Badgers played, and lost, and the rain moved in later that night.  Sunday, the Packers played, and lost, while it rained continuously all day long.  We did make a trip out for lunch before the game, but it was a miserable day for a birthday (55 this year).  While today, Monday, the rain has let up some but still a very cool, damp, and dark gray day again.  Makes it hard to get much motivation to do anything with weather like this, but the forecast is looking better for the rest of the week so hopefully I can start my vacation week properly tomorrow.

Not sure what day yet, but I do want to have at least one evening this week for relaxing by the fire.  I last had one the prior weekend and made dinner out there with our, well, I've heard them called different things, but little pie irons for camping to cook on the coals.  I burned the crap out of the first one, of course, but then made a couple perfectly cooked ones.  Overall, more work, mess and bother to cook this way, but it had been a very long time so was fun just the same.  There is also a bigger view of the sky over the house now.  Not so long ago there were 3 trees there, now just one. 

I didn't know that praying mantis lived in Wisconsin, but per Google they can be found here in the summer months, growing up to two inches including wings.  We had this one on our front window screen all day Saturday, from early morning until we shut the windows at night.  Not sure if it was resting after a big meal or what, but the rains that came that night surely made it move on to a more secure location.  And this one was at least 4 inches long.  I don't remember ever seeing one here before, so was interesting to watch and check on that day.

Well, tomorrow is a new day and we should see the sun and the temperature should come back up to shorts and t-shirt weather.  Most of my vacation to-do list is outside chores, and I need a good day to lift my spirits after the last couple.

Lastly, my condolences to my UK friends on the passing of the Queen.  In a world where public scenes and boorish behavior has become normal, she was always the picture of quiet dignity.  We need more of that again.

4 comments:

Blue Witch said...

A belated happy birthday, and hope you have a good week off, and enjoy the fire when it happens.

Weather in the north of the UK is fab - 28 degrees C yesterday! In the south, not so much, lots of rain. Luckily we are north!

That praying mantis is fascinating.

UK is complete hysteria right now. Utterly crazy. It's a body FFS, it's not the Queen any more, her spirit is now somewhere else, depending on your beliefs, get over it people. Rather a lot of transference going on methinks.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, BW. Nothing to jump up and down about this year, just another year older.

Back to comfortable/warm temperatures here for another week, then fall temperatures again. I've been barefoot in shorts all summer, I don't want to adjust to socks and long pants!

As I thought about it, I might've seen one or two here before. But not for a long time and surely not this size.

Yes, as they say; funerals are for the living. Interruptions in services/programming I believe is to give you time to mourn the loss. In theory, anyway, but life moves ever forward no matter who or what is lost.

delcatto said...

Happy Birthday Scott albeit a belated one! I hope you enjoyed it despite the rain.

Wow, liking the Praying Mantis and I didn't know you had them that far north.

I second BW as the media is pumping out 24 hour nonsense and lots of people apparently doing the same.

Scoakat said...

Thank you, delcatto. I hope it passes sooner than later for you over there.