Thursday, October 21, 2021

Best Place To Drink?

Just a couple recent articles that I found interesting enough to share.  

Madison has often been near or at the top of many 'best places to live' lists in the last couple decades, and finds itself number one once again.  This time Livability dot com conducted a survey of small and mid-size American cities and Madison came out on top after apparently coming in third last year.  Not a whole lot to hang your hat on, but a nice feather for it.  See the article and link here.

Also, another recent survey by 24/7 Wall St. on drinking shows that Wisconsin has the top 11 'drunkest' counties, and a whopping 41 of the top 50.  This is out of 3,143 counties in the U.S.  By their definition, I am a heavy drinker.  No surprise.  My county of  Dane is number 25 on that list.  Again, out of over three thousand U.S. counties! See that article and link here.

I'll drink to that - - Cheers, Madison!

4 comments:

delcatto said...

Cheers!

I am not surprised by their definition of heavy drinking as units of alcohol was plucked from thin air many years ago.

Scoakat said...

I do have a T-shirt that says "Wisconsin - Outdrinking your state since 1848!" (When Wisconsin became a state.) Apparently it's very true!

Blue Witch said...

"an average of a drink a day for women or two per day for men is considered heavy drinking."

LOL.
I'll take my chances on alcohol over prescription drugs any day.

I'm sure that neat spirits do cause harm, but everything else in moderation, especially moderation, as someone famous once said...

As long as one drinks water alongside, there are many studies showing that eg red wine can actually be beneficial. Similalry, beer is less harmful to health than full-sugar sodas.

Scoakat said...

You could probably triple that amount and Wisconsin's numbers wouldn't change much. I'm all for legalizing marijuana. Surrounding states have it legalized already, hopefully Wisconsin follows suit sooner than later. A safer option than alcohol, I believe.