Thursday, April 8, 2021

Blogday This and Thats

I started this blog 12 years ago today, shortly before we bought our house.  It's kind of funny how I use this site to refer back to when we want to know when something happened.  Usually, if it's worth writing about, then I wrote about it here.  Of course, I've written a whole lot of nonsense, too!  Speaking of nonsense, time to type again and see what happens.

  • I'm ready for spring, now.  I shaved for the first time since last October and got a haircut for the first time also since October - but 2019!  It was just time to shave off the winter face coat, and of course it was cool for a few days so my face got a bit cold, but I'm used to it now.  I'll probably grow my little chin beard again like I usually do.  And I remember starting to think about a haircut in March last year, but then everything got locked down.  Once I shaved, I knew I had to finally get that haircut.  It's as short as it's been in a very, very long time now, but it'll grow out.
  • We got some rain last night and today, and there's some more in the forecast, so hopefully they will lift the local burn ban and I can have a fire this weekend.  As long as it's not raining.  That might also throw a wrench in proceeding with the gardens this weekend.
  • I've been enjoying the concert livestreams since all this started.  No, it's not the same as going to a show, but for live music lovers it's at least something.  I've lost count of how many I've seen now; a few from Code Orange, Xordia, Richie Scarlet, Stephen Pearcy, Pain, Diamante a couple times, Steel Panther, Wednesday 13, and many others I'm forgetting now, both ticketed and free shows.  There's a couple more on my radar soon, Bruce Kulick on the 16th and Poppy on the 24th.  Rock on!
  • Aside from the new car, we made another big financial decision recently and refinanced the house.  We've been paying off extra for some time now, but now we knocked off a third of the years left on the mortgage and have a much lower interest rate, which feels pretty damn good.  It was a good time to buy the house back when we did, and now it just keeps going up in value. So again, good for us!
  • I get my first shot two weeks from today, the Pfizer vaccine.  I'm very much looking forward to it, actually.  Fully vaccinated, I will have much more confidence going out and about and getting some semblance of 'normal' back.  Live music, dining out, gathering with friends and family, shopping and even just stopping off for a drink somewhere has been missed greatly, but I'm hoping it all gets better as we go this summer.
Well, I thought I might have more but that's all I can think of at the moment.  The cat's have been well, and have been loving the few times we've been able to open the windows so far.  Here's a recent video of them and, if you couldn't tell by the coloring, they sure act like brothers here!

6 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Happy Blogday, belatedly! I'd have thought it was more than 12 years, but time starts distorting at some point between 50 and 60, and I can't remember when it wasn't distorted any more!

And yay to bringing forward mortgage freedom.

Hope you can get a firepit in this weekend.

Nic said...

Yay, belated Blogday greetings!
I remember when I used to use my blog to date things too (in the days when I posted regularly)...a handy thing.
And yay also to the chunk off your mortgage, paying ours off as fast as we could was one of the best things we ever decided to do. We certainly couldn't have given up our "proper" jobs without doing so. Not sure exactly how early we paid it off but thinking about it now, since we moved in 1996 and took out a 25 year mortgage on that house we'd still have been paying it until this July if we hadn't sorted it out earlier. Wow, that really puts it in perspective!

Scoakat said...

Thank you! We've been lucky and haven't missed a beat during this pandemic, while it's been so hard on some others. In fact, we saved quite a bit of money staying home so much this past year.

I know you used to write more, Nic, I went back and read some before introducing myself. Why no longer? According to BW, you know your way around a camera pretty well, too.

Blue Witch said...

Scoakat, I'm afriad that NiC didn't 'Beware of the Flowers'. And yes, I'd love to get him back too...

Nic said...

I'm not sure, it just tailed off. It may have been down to the take off of most other folk going over to Hate Book etc rather than blogs. I think it was also when I stopped doing a "proper" day job. I do miss those early days of blogging though....
As for the phots, I don't take as many these days....to some extent doing it for money took a lot of the joy out of it.

PS: Scoakat, look out for an email from me concerning a free song to download.

Scoakat said...

Understandable, Nic, life changes and so do we. Well, if you're ever inclined to write more I'd check it out, even if it's just about the music. I got the email, thank you! Hopefully soon it can be the soundtrack to a firepit - maybe soon with other people, even. Cheers!