Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter, Yardwork, Vacation Needed

My wife and I were supposed to go to my Mom and Dan's today for Easter lunch with them and my sister and her kids.  I bowed out last night, after working extra lately I was exhausted.  Yes physically, but much more mentally, either way rest is what I need.  It's my own fault for agreeing when I knew I've been in need of time off from everything to relax, and 4 hours driving is not relaxing.  So, my apologies to Mom and the family, I'll see you next time.

After another very long night's sleep I got a bit of yard work done today instead.  I moved the rock line along the back fence out another 6 or 8 inches and did a bit of garden repair.  The rocks always disappear when the hostas come in so I moved it out so maybe they'll still be visible and allow more room for the hostas and a better sight line in the summer months - and while mowing.  This was one of those jobs I really wasn't looking forward to, but I had it done within the length of the latest Slash CD.  I think I escaped without messing up by back, so I hope it's the last time I move those rocks.

Yesterday Kate cleaned up the stump area and gardens and planted lots of seeds.  The plants all around the yard are growing and starting to bloom.  But around the gardens the wood is starting to fall apart.  I knew they would have to be replaced eventually, I just hoped for longer than 10 years, I guess.  I staked the bottom right corner of the west garden by the door so it closes again and the wood doesn't fall out.  This will need to be addressed too soon, perhaps this fall and/or next spring.  I'll have to do some research this time before rebuilding.  And, for that matter, the back fence will also need replacing soon.

All in all, I only spent a couple hours working in the yard and have been pretty lazy most of the afternoon.  I need my batteries recharged for the upcoming overtime-mandated work week.  Soon I will be on vacation, I just need to make it a few more weeks.  But I'm tired.










Before I staked it back together on the right.  Temporary fix.  The big fix will not be fun.


























5 comments:

Blue Witch said...

Those without gardens definitely miss out.

I know the problem of disintegrating wood - ours has lasted a few more years than yours though, but it's going to be a big problem to replace that surrounding the high raised beds. Still, unlike plastic, and least outside wood does decompose back to nothing, in just a couple of decades.

Blue Witch said...

and/at, sorry

Scoakat said...

I didn't do a whole lot of research on raised beds, I just built them. I'll have to see what I can do about making them last longer this time. Or at least stay together better.

delcatto said...

I wonder if you build a wooden frame around the old disintegrating ones, allow the old to gradually break down. Perhaps a short term answer unless you want to build complete new frames and replace the old ones? Mine has the added bonus of the cats using it as a scratching post so I suspect it won't last as long as I'd like. I have the rear gate to replace and a wall to rebuild although I am considering replacing the fallen section with a fence and using the old bricks in the garden. Cost and my limited DIY abilities will dictate that!

Scoakat said...

It will be a mess, but maybe with the right soil moisture it won't be so bad. A hopeful thought, anyway. Oh well, not today. Good luck with the fence, I think you could manage that bit of brickwork.