- I reached out to 8 contractors, heard back from 6, and received quotes from 3. We know who we want to hire for the roof project, but as of now we are waiting for the quote for the porch project from the same company. It will affect how we go about financing, if we do just the roof right now or both projects. The roof project is the highest priority for us, the porch will be pricier. Neighbor Dave tells me the porch was being built at the same time his deck was, about 1973. He also said he knows it was not permitted, and after taking a closer look at the construction, there is no doubt in my mind no permits were pulled and no inspection took place. It's not in danger of falling apart, but no inspector would approve of the building method.
- I used Bayer Season Long Weed Control on my lawn a couple weeks ago. I've been sold on the product since it finally got rid of many tiny weeds in my front lawn last spring, I think. It's the kind of thing that you hook up to the hose and spray the lawn. I did my full front and back lawns, and I even did a strip of my neighbor's lawn beside our driveway. I've had issues in the past with crabgrass and other weeds coming down her side and getting into my yard. The only thing is I got a little too close to a couple peony bushes, a small one of ours and a very large one of the neighbors. The plants got all curly and sick looking in just a day and they remain that way. Thankfully it only affected a part of my neighbor's plant, but I think our peony is done for this year, though I do think it will come back.
- Before I forget, Kate was in California a couple weeks ago for a work conference. This has happened before in years past. It's during the week so with work and chores it goes by quick. Then, just as the cats and I start getting used to her not being there - she's back. It freaked Basil out quite a bit last year but he seemed to take it better this year. I was also glad to have her back, even though we both seemed a bit testy with each other for a few days for some reason. We also have an anniversary coming up, kind of a milestone one, too. No, I don't think they're related, but I do have to start looking for some kind of gift!
- Spring is finally here. I was so anxious for it to be here this year. I want it to be comfortable without a coat outside and I want to get the outside fully cleaned up and ready for summer. Aside from some of the usual projects, all that is left is plant shopping and that will most likely happen next weekend. We had frost warnings the last couple nights and the high temperatures still are not enough to have all the windows open comfortably. I hope we get some of that all-day open-window time before it inevitably becomes central air time. For the time being, the heat remains on.
- Another thing about spring, and this year especially, the lilacs burst with blooms and at the same time the lily of the valley is starting to peak. I brought in some of each yesterday making the the house very floral scented. We had to put them in different rooms to spread it out a little. They both smell so nice and are so fleeting in spring we must enjoy it while we can.
Well, when I sat I only had a vague idea of what I might say and look at all the stuff that came out. Now, I better wrap it up before it gets too much longer. I'm sure I'll have forgotten something, I always do, but I also don't want to make a post so long no one reads it.
It will be another summer of projects and activities so I'm sure I won't run out of anything to write about anytime soon. Thanks for reading.
Ta ta for now.
Ta ta for now.