Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Why We Hate Cable Companies

So, I called the cable company this afternoon to cancel our cable television, but keep our cable internet.  I was firm but pleasant in my approach, but it did not go as planned, of course.

The customer service worker I spoke to first and told what I wished to do referred me to their retention department, as I expected.  I deflected all offers of discounts and remained steadfast in canceling our cable tv while keeping the cable internet and eventually he stopped trying the various offers to have me keep cable tv.  He then turned off the cable tv and the internet also went out.  I kept him on the line until he got the cable internet to came back, but I was far from finished and also had a few questions about my bill.

This current billing period is for May 2 until June 1.  Only after turning off the cable tv and my questions did he let me know that they do not pro-rate for their monthly services and I would be liable for the entire bill.  That would be over 3 weeks of cable tv services I would have to pay for but not receive.  Unacceptable, and I told him so.  After that exchange it took some time but he said he got my cable tv reinstated through June 1 but the cable tv boxes would not work, we would have to have the app downloaded to our phones and cast to the smart televisions.  Again, I found this unacceptable and I asked to speak to a supervisor.  He responded that may take up to an hour, I said I would wait.

In about ten minutes he checked in with me to make sure I was still there - yes, I'm not going anywhere. After about another ten minutes he "found" a ten dollar discount he could give me.  I said I would rather continue to wait for a supervisor.

Eventually  - and I never did speak to a supervisor - he was suddenly able to turn on our cable tv again through the cable boxes, so now our services were the same as if I hadn't called at all.  But he did say he end-dated our cable tv service for June 1 but I should call on May 29 to be sure, for some reason.  And you can bet your bottom dollar I will call that day, if not the day before, and for their sake I hope I'm in a good mood that day.

What a run-around.  

I entered the call in a good mood and was very pleasant yet I was misled, lied to, and delayed over and over.  I likely may have been able to end it today and get it pro-rated if I stayed on the line for another hour, but I had been on the phone for almost 90 minutes already so we will have the same services through June 1.  That is their tactic.  Delay, delay, delay and hope we give up and hang up.

I found the whole experience sickening and now instead of possibly returning to cable tv in the fall we will be relying on internet streaming services and over the air tv, but will also now immediately be looking into alternate internet providers, as well.

Fuck Spectrum.  I think I may try to call again tomorrow to cancel and try again have my bill pro-rated, but how much is my time worth?

3 comments:

delcatto said...

They really do make it difficult to leave and as you say, try every trick to keep you in contract. Sadly, I think you'll get the runaround again at the end of the month. Good luck!

Blue Witch said...

I am heartened (but saddened) that such things are just as shitty in the US as in the UK.

I have spent more than 10 hours on the phone this month already trying to sort out similar things. I am beyond stressed and sooner or later I am going to really lose it with someone...

Just wait until companies all go to CS only by chat rather than by phone.

Scoakat said...

Sadly, yes, terrible to deal with here, too. They are the only cable option available to us and they take advantage of it, greatly. I hope we can find an acceptable internet option so we can cut ties with them completely.