Friday, September 16, 2022

Vacation Wrap-up

 I still have the weekend but my vacation is essentially over.  All my vacation projects have been completed and I find myself today a bit bored.  I went for a drive, grabbed some food at a drive-through and parked by a lake to eat.  Then I went to a small mom and pop style tavern only to find it strangely closed, so I just came back home.  It's a beautiful day out, but I'm a bit sore so will wait for my wife to finish her workday then we can take a nice walk.

I'm glad I did the power washing early due to the rains that came after and the drying time needed before sealing the back steps.  I was mostly idle on Sunday and Monday due to that rain, and we did get some water in the basement for the first time in a couple years.  We didn't pick up the rugs in time so some got a bit wet, but as of yesterday everything was dry again and back to normal.  I had put the trail camera down there to see if the cats use the walkway so they don't have to step on the floor but it failed to capture the cats over several days but for a couple times when they walked right up to the camera.  Not sure why, and I don't see anything in the settings to fix that.  I may have to try again later from a different angle, but now I have the trail camera back outside on the fence by the wood rack facing the gardens.  I found poop back there again and want to find out what is doing that.

On Tuesday I edged all our concrete.  It had been a few years since I did it last and it was due.  I think a combination of the concrete sinking over the years and the sod rising from mulched grass has caused the front grass to be quite higher than the walk.  And I don't believe I've ever edged the curb side of the terrace before but you can see how much it was covering the curb.  It took about 16 five gallon buckets over 3 trips to the dump as it was just too much sod to compost here.  It was a bit of work, but it is very satisfying to see it all cleaned up and several inches of space reclaimed.

Wednesday was spent sealing the driveway seams in front of the garage.  I think water gets under it and when it freezes in the winter it makes one corner of a slab rise in front of the garage so hopefully this will help.  More of these seams will need to be redone in the future but I'll be looking into a different method.  I just did this area again to use up the crack filler left over from several years ago.  Other than that, just a few errands, can't remember what else so probably nothing.

By Thursday the wooden steps were dry enough to get sealed.  It was supposed to be mostly or partly cloudy out, perfect for the job, but I wanted to get an early start but not too early for the morning dew to evaporate.  Well, I overslept a bit so got a late morning start, then the water sealer I had must have been old as it had a cottage cheese consistency.  So I ran out to get more and in my haste got a slightly different version than I've used before - and learned that 'clear' and 'transparent' are two very different things.  I accepted my mistake and forged ahead, and it turns out it made the steps look pretty good.  Before the wood was a light gray but now, well, what do you think?  I'm calling it a happy accident.

So, back to today.  I guess today is turning out to be a pretty lazy day for me, and that's okay.  Soon here my wife and I will go on probably a 30 minute walk.  Later we're having Italian beef sandwiches for dinner (that's been smelling really good in the slow cooker all day!) but just a quiet night in.  Tomorrow we have a few things lined up but other than that I think I'm done with my vacation chore list and will just relax and try not to think about the shitstorm that I know will be waiting for me on Monday morning.

Walnut count:  My yard ~460, Dave's yard ~1320.  I expected these numbers to be higher by now, but we're not done yet.



8 comments:

delcatto said...

It's good to get all those chores done and know you've done a good job. The pavement and grassed areas look very tidy now. The steps do look good.

Cats are very curious and that video makes me smile. I bought a new computer chair and the very large box it came in Sue broke up. Immediately the cats were all over the small pile of cardboard, taking it in turns to investigate and then sleep on it.

Enjoy a restful weekend.

Blue Witch said...

Wow, you've got through a lot there, well done. Hope your back isn't complaining too much.

I'd have thought that clear and transparent were the same thing too.

Out of interest, what do you use to edge your grass?

Have a relaxing weekend.

Scoakat said...

Thank you both. It's not that the chores required time off work, I just like to have bigger projects for my weeks off. We're not travelers though that might change as we get older and my wife is no longer responsible for her father, you never know. And yes, a good feeling and sense of accomplishment.

I use a flat nose shovel to do the edging. I have an edger, but I don't like it and this growth would have been too much for it.

*Knock wood, my back has been okay since my back shot last September. I know it's just a matter of time until it becomes a bigger issue yet again, but hopefully a long time.

I do want to put the trailcam in the basement again, to hopefully get better results. I'm also hoping for more 'curious' video - but I do not need to see inside the box! Stay tuned to see if I identify the backyard pooper.

Clear is clear and transparent means the wood grain is still visible through the sealer/stain. I was in too much of a hurry at the store, wanting to get home and started. But I still say it's a happy accident, this or similar would have happened on purpose eventually.

Thank you so much for reading, your feedback means a lot to me.

Blue Witch said...

We have the same issues with edgers! Thanks for the idea, I shall have to see if such a thing as a flat nosed shovel exists here, because we definitely need heavier duty.

Long may your back last out!

Scoakat said...

I'm sure you have them there. Some have sides, but that's not what I have. I guess they call it a garden spade. Under this huge link is one very similar to mine. Good luck!

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/garden-landscaping-tools/shovels-tampers/yardworks-31-5-wood-d-handle-garden-spade/23158yw/p-3490591039984009-c-13243.htm?tid=8541875984038837582&ipos=18

Scoakat said...

Or here's a better quality one made by Fiskars on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Steel-D-handle-Square-Garden/dp/B000BX4SLS/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=flat+head+shovel&qid=1663708814&sr=8-7

I like Fiskars products. I have a small splitting axe and weed puller made by them.

Blue Witch said...

Thanks Scoakat, that's very useful. I've never seen a totally flat edged spade before. so now they exist I shall have a hunt.

We like Fiskars tools too - scissors as well as garden.

Blue Witch said...

No joy, seems the UK does not have such a thing (the only flat edged ones have triangle sides as you also mention - I guess to give them strength). Never mind, Mr BW can make one once he gets the forge up and running again. Whether or not I'll be able to actually lift it is another matter, but at least it won't bend if its made of forged steel!